right to a copy of credit report? - Posted by DavidV

Posted by Nate on March 22, 2001 at 12:13:27:

Not quite. If anyone accessed your credit report, and denies you something (a loan, a job, etc.) based on information contained in the report, you then have the right to obtain a copy, for free, FROM THE CREDIT BUREAU THAT THEY USED. Not from them directly. Also, they must provide the name and address of the credit bureau so you can contact them if you wish.

If you were not denied for anything, you do not have the right to a free copy from the credit bureau and will have to pay the usual $8 or so fee.

In no case that I know of does a company that pulled your credit report have to give you a copy of what was pulled.

NT

NT

right to a copy of credit report? - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on March 22, 2001 at 11:05:12:

In working on a line of credit a bank recently told me i could look at my credit report when they pulled it, but that i couldn’t take a copy with me. I thought that any time your credit was pulled you had a right to a copy. Can anyone clarify this please? Thanks.

Re: right to a copy of credit report? - Posted by Sandy

Posted by Sandy on March 28, 2001 at 20:01:30:

Actually, in addition to receiving a free copy of your credit report when you were denied something because of it, you are now entitled to a free copy of your report once a year. I usually pull mine just to be sure there is nothing inaccurate or fraudulent on it. As for a free copy, maybe I am very charming, but I usually ask for a copy of my credit report from whomever pulled it (excluding employers) and I usually get it.

If you don’t ask, you don’t get.

Re: right to a copy of credit report? - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on March 23, 2001 at 06:09:54:

I pull credit reports from a tenant screening service and the rule is that the report is for my use only. They go on to say that I am not permitted to share this report with others, including the person being reported on.

Through the years, tenants were surprised that I will not give them a copy of the report. Usually, I allow them to take a quick look at the copy.

This policy is in effect for many many years. My first job out of college (in 1971) was processing consumer credit apps. Clients who were turned down demanded to see the report. We give them a form letter including the name and address of the credit bureau to obtain their own copy.

On one occassion, the reason the person was turned down was because he was “wanted for murder”. No one called the police, and then he showed up at the office demanding answers. We didn’t even dare show him the report, but told him a letter is on the way from headquarters to his home explaining the reason. We were glad he finally left the office and didn’t come back looking for me. My knees still shake thinking about it.

Re: right to a copy of credit report? - Posted by Bruce Lawson

Posted by Bruce Lawson on March 22, 2001 at 14:25:36:

By the bank telling you that you could not take your report with you is simply a policy of the institution. They paid approximately $18 for your credit report and it is not the same one you would get upon request from the credit reporting agencies. Since they paid for it they own it. You are very fortunate most places will not premit you to see your report. The only way you can get a copy of your report free of charge if you applied for credit and were denied. Contrary to common belief if you have a denial letter make three copies and submit one to each CRA they will send you a copy free.

Sincerely,
Bruce Lawson