Robyn Thompson - Posted by Lara

Posted by Jim Locker on October 22, 2003 at 08:19:50:

Is that a recent change? I have not observed it in the past on this board.

Other boards give the choice to email a message, or they email a message that says something like “someone has responded to your message…visit the board to get the details”, but I seldom see an automatic email of the message sent.

Robyn Thompson - Posted by Lara

Posted by Lara on October 21, 2003 at 10:37:16:

Hi Everyone! I am a new investor and am planning on rehabbing the 4 properties that I recently purchased. I was looking at Robyn Thompson’s books and I wanted to know if anyone out there has read her stuff and if it is any good. Please let me know?

Thanks!

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on October 22, 2003 at 12:39:25:

Whether or not a person can or cannot build a bathroom in 24 hours is not the point…is Robyn Thompson for real? Yes!! I have not personally read her materials but I do know someone who has and his opinion (which I value highly) was all positive. Was she “arrogant and stand-offish” as the responder said? Maybe, but so what? She is extremely successful at what she does and maybe she does need a lesson in “public relations” but that does not take away her knowledge and success. Just my 2 cents!

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on October 21, 2003 at 18:20:43:

I have listened to her speak but have not reviewed her materials.

Personally, I think she is full of it. I found her to be very arrogant. She got into an argument with a remodeling contractor that I know regarding the time required to remodel a bathroom. She insisted that she can rip the bathroom out to bare studs and have it completely finished in 24 hours.

The contractor disagreed, as did I.

She may have a system for remodeling down pretty well…I can’t exactly tell and am not sufficiently interested to pursue it. But her speaking was, to me, very unimpressive and put-offish.

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by James

Posted by James on October 21, 2003 at 17:40:45:

I highly recommend her materials. I’ve made beacoup bucks following her system.

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by James

Posted by James on October 22, 2003 at 13:28:16:

Jim,
I have attended her bootcamp and have all her materials. Yes, she is a tough person to deal with sometimes and she does come across as arrogant but her materials are first rate. Using her methods I consistently average 30-40K on each rehab I do (8-10 per year) and I can tell you that if you don’t walk, talk, and act like a mean SOB then you will be perceived by your contractors as weak and someone to take advantage of. Robyn is doing a lot of teaching now so she may not be doing many rehabs anymore but I am and her stuff is #1 with me

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on October 22, 2003 at 11:41:35:

I definitely think a bath could be redone in 24 hrs (though I wouldn’t put a “24 hr bath” in even the ugliest house). Realize, too, that you wouldn’t have to go back with sheetrock.

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on October 21, 2003 at 20:33:44:

You think they can’t put a typical 60-80k home bathroom together in a day or two from the studs?

If no plumbing or electrical needs to be run, why should it take more than a day or two to put in a new 1 or 2 piece tub/suround, redrywall 10-12 feet of wall, put down some vinyl and set in a vanity, medicine cabinet, toilet and lights and attach up the lines?

Demolition and removal should take nothing, and other than drywall, everything else is prefab… so where’s the time if you have a good team, and have all your materials ready when you start?

I think it could, and frankly with a good team, should be done in a day, though I admit I don’t think most contractors will get it done in a day.

Re: Robyn Thompson…Bootcamp??? - Posted by Dimpil

Posted by Dimpil on October 22, 2003 at 19:06:47:

Anyone know when the next one is?

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on October 22, 2003 at 05:13:34:

I have received this response from you via an anonymous email with the email address nospam@nospam.com

Such emails will not be accepted, at all.

My automatic assumption is that you are a fraud or a shill.

And if for no other reason you can’t turn a bathroom that fast due to the time required for adhesives to dry. Also, as far as “good team” is concerned, most bathrooms are not large enough to permit more than two people to work in them, and those two will be interfering with each other.

DO NOT EMAIL ME AGAIN IN THIS ANONYMOUS FASHION.

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on October 22, 2003 at 10:56:16:

Jim,

I have never personally emailed you at all, I post here under a different EMAIL simply to keep spam out of my mailbox. Not to hide my indentity.

I did not suggest you could be taking a shower in the bathroom the same day its done, but it can be done in a day or 2 easy from the studs. Particularly when you are talking the typical 60-80k house that is only a tub, small vanity and toilet.

Demolition is NO time at all, plopping a 1 or 2 piece fiberglass tub and surround in place is nothing in terms of time. laying vinyl is nothing as well, and putting in a new toilet, and connecting the supply line is nothing and putting in a new vanity and hooking it up to existing drain and supply lines and screwing into wall, etc is nothing. Attaching new light fixtures to existing lines sure as hell isn’t more than a few minutes and same thing with dropping a medicine cabinet or attaching a mirror to a wall

The only thing that remotely takes time is the sheetrock and thats just because you have to tape and putty and sand a few times. Screwing up 4X8 pieces of sheetrock up on studs in a small room definately isn’t something that should be taking a pro a lot of time to get done. Other than that, where is the time you are suggesting is in a typical starter home bathroom?

I openly admit the typical contractor probably won’t have it done in 24 hours, but its definately something that could be done in 1-2 days tops. There just ain’t that much to it. If you want to put in nice tile, or rerun lines or electrical sure, but if you just gut to the studs, and then put it back together pretty much the same layout as before, where is the time? Even with only 2 people in the room at once, please tell me how you think this is something that can’t be done in 16-32 man hours?

Re: Robyn Thompson - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on October 22, 2003 at 08:09:43:

Jim, I don’t know Sean, and I have no dog in this fight. But, I just wanted to make you aware, the message board software here automatically emails responses to post replies, based on whatever address you originally posted with. Sean has simply put a fake address under his posting in order to avoid “web bots” scanning this board and harvesting his email address. All I’m saying is, if it came from here, it isn’t that he emailed you anonymously, the software does that automatically. Just a point of technical distinction.