Roof Headaches - Posted by BOB IN ID

Posted by Tony Colella on April 06, 2006 at 21:43:45:

Sounds like you are dealing with newer homes with shingle roofing (right?). Are they single wides that are leaking or doublewides (with marriage walls etc.) that are leaking?

Ceiling panels can be purchased from mobile home supply stores but depending on your location and the home, other materials such as drywall might be easier to locate.


Roof Headaches - Posted by BOB IN ID

Posted by BOB IN ID on April 06, 2006 at 21:36:38:

Newbe to this investing and find roof problems are common. I have learned a lot about them, as they have cost me some cash to try to fix them to resell.

I have had two handymen seal seams at two different homes and they STILLLLLLL LEAKKKKKK. What are we doing wrong ? They claim they do scrape off the old and use various asphalt mixtures.

Where do I get ceiling panels like ones for single wides?


Re: Roof Headaches - Posted by Mike/nc

Posted by Mike/nc on April 07, 2006 at 07:31:43:

When you said seams I assume you’r talking about metal type roofs. I’d look first to see if it was the seams leaking or was the leak comeing around a vent pipe or exaust fan. The best thing I’ve found to use is 100% silicon caulking. It last and doesn’t get hard and crack. It will also “give” a little when the top flexes when the wind blows. The caulking can also be used on the seams if that is indeed where the leak is comeing from. If you have to replace the ceiling anyway then first repair the top and then take a water hose and spray the roof and then get a flashlight and try to see where the water is comeing in at.