Roofing Question - Posted by BR

Posted by Roofing question on March 28, 2000 at 15:57:44:

Whilst I think that anything that Michael Morro says is as close to gospel as we can get, I am currently working on a foam roofing problem on a property that has a 13 year old roof. Again, that wonderful sunshine in California, eats away the sealers and the paint, and causes blistering on the foam, which quickly deteriorates if left untreated. Seemingly the sealent wears off, and has to be recoated every 2-3 years, which may be more hassle than you want. I do not know of any better solutions, yet, but I am working on finding some roofers to come and give me bids on replace versus repair. And it may be that this was a poorly executed job, and when done right, as Michael suggests, it will have a much longer lifespan.

Good Luck

Roofing Question - Posted by BR

Posted by BR on March 28, 2000 at 11:49:25:

I have an old gravel roof that is leaking. Is there a product that can be applied with a mop like the hot tar roofs but in a cold application? Anyone have any expirience with these type roofs?

Re: Roofing Question - Posted by Corey (ND)

Posted by Corey (ND) on March 29, 2000 at 20:31:11:

For what it is worth I always say get rid of the flat roof and never have to deal with it again! In other words put on a metal peak roof such as a house or put a metal roof which slopes from front to back. This is comparable in cost to a new tar and gravel roof and then the problem is fixed for good. Unless you have a 100,000 sq ft building that is what I would do.

Good luck

Corey
“The best lessons in life are the painfull and the expensive ones”

Re: Roofing Question - Posted by Steve-Atl

Posted by Steve-Atl on March 29, 2000 at 09:45:16:

I’ve struggled with leaky roofs for many years practicing as an architect. The truth is “flat roofs will leak”. I’ve heard of all the miracle cures and I’ve seen many fail.

The problem with flat roofs is water does not drain quickly enough. That delay allows the water to find ways through the roof. The key to any good roof is adequate slope (at least 1/2 inch per foot).

Sometimes its feasible to increase the slope and other times its not. If the slope is the problem, no coating applied to the existing surface is likely to work.

E-mail me with more description of the conditions and I’ll be glad to offer an opinion.

Re: Roofing Question - Posted by Davis-KY

Posted by Davis-KY on March 28, 2000 at 16:21:52:

two products for Low Slope/Flat applications to consider are:

1. Lo-Slope by Monsey Bakor (1-800-523-0268)
    2)Weatherbond 110 by Weatherbond Pro (1-800-575-4406)

They should be able to point you in the right direction for their local reps.

Consider FOAM - Posted by Michael Morrongiello

Posted by Michael Morrongiello on March 28, 2000 at 15:45:46:

I have used a foam material to reroof properties that have older “tar and gravel” style roofs. I have used this matieral in both Florida and Calif. It is a little more costly than the “hot mop” method however it provides great seal protection, especially along the wall seams nd it provides a reflective coating on its surface to keep the sun off it.

Michael Morrongiello

Re: Roofing Question - Posted by Bert G

Posted by Bert G on March 28, 2000 at 13:24:09:

I’ll tackle just about any kind of home repair there is, but the thought of a flat roof gives me the willies. And yes, I’ve helped fix them, but I wouldn’t reccommend it to a do it yourselfer.
There are cold tar patch compounds you can get at home centers, but if the roof is leaking in several places, you are probably better off having the pro do it.

If you are in a position where you need to be re-roofed, you might consider one of the new products where they put down a waterproof plastic membrane before adding the other roofing materials. I haven’t priced it, but it looks like a better system than just hot mopped asphalt.

BG

Re:Good Roofing Question - Posted by Walt_FL

Posted by Walt_FL on March 28, 2000 at 12:40:58:

Hi,

Good question, here in Florida we have alot of these “Flat” roofs over patios and houses too (Over my patio, I have a good sized 1) It is covered with white stones. I have heard them referred to as 12 year roofs, mine has a low spot that pools, however it is holding up although I suspect I will be getting more acquainted with these type roofs… (kinda Up Close and Personal stuff) right now the meeting junction of the flat and House Tile Roof (another Florida thing)is cracked and leaks during continuous heavy rains. I have heard Good and Bad, apparently they are the ticket where much pitch is not available. Hey, I’d like to hear from someone what I need to fill/seal/PLUG that cracking area too…???(Sun Eats Everything= Florida)

All the Best,

Walt_FL