Roofs - Posted by Len_PA

Posted by TomC-(MD) on December 16, 1999 at 16:28:16:

Entire replacement of a slate roof is very expensive. About 4 times the cost of compostition shingles.

On the flip side, a slate root has a life expectancy of over 100 years, compared to 25 or so for composition. If there are a few broken slate tiles, new ones can be installed. They add a nice look to the house that many buyers like. In fact, I am closing on a house Dec 30th that has a slate roof.

Roofs - Posted by Len_PA

Posted by Len_PA on December 16, 1999 at 16:03:44:

I am having a contractor look at a slate roof tomorrow morning. Has anyone out there had one of these replaced before? I don’t know if this one needs to be replaced, but I was just wondering if someone had one replaced could they give me some idea of how much it would costs?

Re: Roofs - Posted by SRobertson

Posted by SRobertson on December 16, 1999 at 22:42:36:

Check with insurance companies in your area and see if they provide a discount for UL 2218 impact resistant shingles. Insurance companies in certain areas of the country can give as much as a 30% discount on premiums for this type of shingle.

Some brands are very cost competitive. This could also be a good selling point for the house.

Re: Roofs - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on December 16, 1999 at 17:50:40:

On the “This Old House” series they put an artificial slate roof on Silva’s house. Their comment was the cost is about it being a third the cost of true slate and it would last 60 years.

Re: Roofs - Posted by David

Posted by David on December 16, 1999 at 17:00:02:

I’ve replaced a slate roof on a rental as slate was too costly. On another property I have been repairing a slate roof to extend its life. Repalcing broken slates, missing nails etc. Never tar a slate roof that will shorten its life not extend it. With proper care it will last 100 years!
David

Slate roofs - Posted by Shawn M. Crawford

Posted by Shawn M. Crawford on December 16, 1999 at 16:55:34:

Based on HOMETECH REMODELING AND RENOVATION COST ESTIMATOR 1999 EDITION for "Pensylvania Slate " including nails, staging, felt and ridge slates-does not include removal-, 4-6/12 slope 885.00 per square and 7-12/12 slope 867.00 per square.

Roughly eight times the cost of a standard 20 year three tab shingle.

Shawn