rub a dub tub.. - Posted by tubby

Posted by JasonTX on February 26, 2001 at 15:32:07:

I’m assuming that rust is your “demon”. If that is the case then you will need to remove the rust before you use the cement.

This is a stop gap measure. In the end you will need to replace the tub.

rub a dub tub… - Posted by tubby

Posted by tubby on February 26, 2001 at 12:48:06:

i am trying to avoid replacing a bath tub. not sure if i can avoid it though. anyone have an idea on how to fix this? the hole where the drain fits in the bottom of the tub has been INCREASED! directly above (around)the drain edge(from about 9 o’clock to 12 o’clock) there is a hole that is about 1" bigger than what the standard drain can cover. i had just added a BUNCH of caulk to fill the gap, but this isnt performing well needless to say. help!
thanks

Re: rub a dub tub… - Posted by Rocky

Posted by Rocky on February 26, 2001 at 18:02:18:

Bondo makes a product that you can find at your local hardware store that is made for tub repair. I used it on one of my tubs last year and it worked like a charm.

…and away goes trouble…down the drain… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on February 26, 2001 at 13:25:43:

A couple years ago, I had my washing machine repair man patch a small hole in the tub of my waching machine. (When the unit went ‘off balance’, it punched a hole in the side.) The fellow used a ‘marine cement’ for the repair. Smeared it on and it dried like rock! Never leaked again after that.

Maybe you could get your hands on something like that.

Aside from this idea, I’m out of my league when it comes to plumbing…

Marine Tec—that was the name 'o the stuff. [nt] - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 01, 2001 at 13:08:38:

nt.

Re: …and away goes trouble…down the drain… - Posted by Gib

Posted by Gib on February 26, 2001 at 20:14:11:

The stuff I believe you are referring to is called GOOP and available at Lowe’s or Home Depot.