Russia + hotels - 2 questions for Ray - Posted by John Corey

Posted by ray@lcorn on January 16, 2007 at 15:08:28:

Hi John,

The book I mentioned is “America Alone” by Mark Steyn. It’s about how global demographics will drive change in the next two decades… who’s hot, who’s not, and why.

Russia is the posterchild for a population in severe decline, and a very unstable political system with a severe bent toward nationalization of private assets. My guess is you will have a hard time raising much serious interest for any type of project there for the time being.

China is a different story. The book examines that population in detail as well. You will find a more receptive audience to investing there than other Asian countries. But the real growth is in India. Stable government, growing population, rapid techonogical advance, and developing capital markets on par with the west.

For additional in-depth analysis I would also suggest reading the Asia report at Stratfor, at www.stratfor.com.

Good to see you in Atlanta… give me a call when you get a chance.

ray

Russia + hotels - 2 questions for Ray - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on January 10, 2007 at 16:12:48:

Ray,

I spoke with you at the last Lenders Workshop. You mentioned a book you read on Russia and the declining population. Please post a reply with the name of the book so I can pick up a copy.

I believe you were on the board for the parent of Comfort Inns. I am looking for a 2 star hotel chain which would be interested in reviewing a proposal re: expansion into China. An existing hotel business (hundreds of sites) wants to link up with a US (maybe western European as a back up) chain. Any suggestions?

John Corey