Score One Against the Squatters...Read if it ever happens to you. - Posted by Chenel Moore_MD

Posted by Chenel Moore_MD on April 27, 2000 at 17:09:49:

Yikes!!! Where are you going?

Guess what? I have a new deal in NY. Looks like we are going to be moving here. Send me the details about the 20 unit and I will help you structure the deal. I should be back by May 8th to make the tax sale.

Score One Against the Squatters…Read if it ever happens to you. - Posted by Chenel Moore_MD

Posted by Chenel Moore_MD on April 25, 2000 at 16:55:59:

Well it turns out that I have a victory. After going back and forth with the court and the sheriff here is the final verdict.

The court system will only act in landlord and tenant disputes. Without a lease there isn’t any action I can file against these people. Therefore the sheriff is eliminated because he will require court orders.

The local police department however has the authority to arrest them based on a trespassing violation. At this point, I will have to file charges and remove their belongings from the property.

So technically, I can’t just throw them out, this is true. But once they are arrested on trespassing charges, I can remove their possessions from the property and change the locks. I received this advice from his honor the judge himself and the town attorney.

I had to give the squatter written notice (which I did) and take the notice along with my papers proving that I own the property to the precinct.

As it turns out the squatter is also a convict with several warrants out for his arrest(it is amazing what info you can find out when you have friends at the police station). It is in his favor to vacate the property before I send the cops to arrest him.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Looks like your story is going to have a HAPPY ending!! (nt) - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on April 26, 2000 at 08:53:22:

nt.

Re: Score One Against the Squatters…Read if it ever happens to you. - Posted by Eduardo (OR)

Posted by Eduardo (OR) on April 25, 2000 at 18:08:46:

That’s great Chenel. You might also consider offering the squatter a few bucks to leave. However, make it clear that you will only give them the money when they are in their car with all their possessions. Sometimes this helps encourage them to leave and may reduce the chance that they trash the place on the way out. Consider it a business expense and don’t get hung up on whether it’s proper or not. You’re trying to protect your investment.

Also, you may be interested to know that in some “progressive” European countries squatters have extensive rights. The authorities allow them to stay in abandoned properties on the theory that society is best served by having homeless people off the street. It sometimes takes years to get them out.

Re: Score One Against the Squatters…Read if it ever happens to you. - Posted by Rosalyn_MD

Posted by Rosalyn_MD on April 26, 2000 at 15:34:28:

Way to go !!

Re: Score One Against the Squatters…Read if it ever happens to you. - Posted by Chenel Moore_MD

Posted by Chenel Moore_MD on April 26, 2000 at 10:15:34:

Thanks Eduardo!

Needless to say that we tried offering the squatters money to move. They said that that wouldn’t move for under 1500 bucks and that they needed another 60 to 90 days before they would budge period. These people are professional squatters it seems. What they overlooked is the fact that squatting is trespassing.

At any rate, Europe would appear as a great place to vacation, but awful to live.

Re: Score One Against the Squatters…Read if it ever happens to you. - Posted by Chenel Moore_MD

Posted by Chenel Moore_MD on April 27, 2000 at 11:39:13:

Hey there!!! I have some news for you. I am still in NY, I will call you later this week. Happy Investing!!!

Re: Score One Against the Squatters…Read if it ever happens to you. - Posted by Rosalyn_MD

Posted by Rosalyn_MD on April 27, 2000 at 15:21:57:

Hi!
I had to let the condo deal go because there was not
enough profit in it. However, I did find out about the 20-unit property we discussed. The county has control and is seeking bids on it. The time frame for everything is so compressed that I am not sure what to do. Hit me back, I will be out of town until Sun.
P.S. The tax lien sale is May 8th @ 900am) :slight_smile: