Sec. 8 tenant and damages - Posted by John

Posted by DJ-nyc on November 22, 2010 at 16:20:37:

Real story. She was nasty. enuf said.

Sec. 8 tenant and damages - Posted by John

Posted by John on November 20, 2010 at 22:58:11:

Quite a few years ago someone told me that if a Section 8 tenant causes damages to a unit and, the tenant refused to pay for the damages the tenant could lose their housing voucher. Anyone ever run into this before?

Re: Sec. 8 tenant and damages - Posted by Dean

Posted by Dean on November 23, 2010 at 18:08:55:

I have evicted for damages and breaking terms of my lease and the tenant does lose voucher. This is a great tool for keeping them in line - they don’t want to have to pay bills like the rest of us!

Re: Sec. 8 tenant and damages - Posted by Edwin

Posted by Edwin on November 21, 2010 at 23:58:16:

In theory,you’d think a Sec. 8 tenant should lose their voucher if they don’t pay for damages/rent they owe. Sounds like good leverage to me, but be prepared to let the housing authority office know about the transgression. If necessary, try complaining to your local congressman who might pressure Sec. 8 office to stop wasting federal funds on undeserving tenants.

I had world’s worst Sec 8 T - Posted by John Merchant

Posted by John Merchant on November 21, 2010 at 22:41:05:

My Sec.8 T really screwed up the house before she left and went back to the streets so that’s how I learned that the LL has still gotta stay atop ANY T.

So don’t trust them any more than a non-sec. 8 T or you could live to regret it.

Re: Sec. 8 tenant and damages - Posted by Beachbum

Posted by Beachbum on November 21, 2010 at 20:19:29:

In my experience, the only way a tenant will lose their voucher is if the landlord complains to the housing office. Unfortunately, they will NOT remove the tenant prior to stopping the vouchers. Now you have a bad tenant, with no way of paying rent, and you must go through the eviction process.
This is the reason I no longer accept subsidized housing.

Re: Sec. 8 tenant and damages - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on November 21, 2010 at 08:38:36:

Although Section 8 is a federally funded program it is administered locally so each area may handle things a bit differently.

In my area the section 8 office inspects the houses annually and if a tenant has damaged the home they must make repairs in order to retain their voucher.

If the tenant wants to move they must have a letter of good standing from the landlord. If there are damages you won’t be giving that letter which would cause the tenant to be unable to obtain the new voucher.

Tony Colella

Re: Sec. 8 tenant and damages - Posted by Ken

Posted by Ken on November 21, 2010 at 07:32:55:

Ievicted a section 8 tenant for non payment and she was removed from the system after we proved the eviction to the housing office

Section 8 is going away - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on November 27, 2010 at 10:56:39:

Just spoke to one of the Section 8 workers that I have dealt with over the years in nyc. He said they are not giving out Section 8 vouchers anymore and that this federal program is going away soon and people have to “fend for themselves”. My apartments start at 1k and I am not sure how many people can really afford them without a subsidy. I am going to have to reevaluate My low income housing business model.

DJ-nyc

I thought I had the worst John - Posted by DJ-nyc

Posted by DJ-nyc on November 22, 2010 at 16:18:19:

In nyc Section 8 is merely an entity to process payments and inspect units. They don’t do squat to help you if you have a bad tenant. Matter of fact, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN in my area if you have a bad tenant. I went to war with one in 2004 and it was a Advanced LL course on what happens when you pick the wrong Sec 8 tenant. Proceed with caution. Screen screen screen. Act like you are hiring an employee with interviews and background checks, oh and visit where they live now. “Excuse me can I use your bathroom”…

DJ-nyc

Nonpayment of what by who? - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on November 22, 2010 at 06:59:21:

Section 8 pays most or all of the rent depending. Would it be the relative minute difference that is not being paid which begs the question, what kind of people are these tenants!

Re: Section 8 is going away - Posted by Edwin

Posted by Edwin on November 27, 2010 at 14:25:55:

Interesting. I’ll have to see if my local Sec. 8 office is doing the same thing. If find it hard to believe that a Democrat administration would end a subsidy like Sec. 8, but there is a big deficit, so I guess it’s not impossible. I know I have advertised vacancies for Sec. 8 tenants recently and have had very little interest. NOt sure if it’s because a glu of rentals available, or there are fewer tenants with vouchers.