Section 8 and me - Posted by Al

Posted by Paris Whitson on October 09, 1999 at 16:43:36:

Hi Christopher I’m new to the LA. area I’m from St.Louis,MO.
I understand what you are saying. I myself am a section8 person ,but I have alway’s worked. I came here in search of a new life for both myself and my children. It’s your requirment’s of people. Before I came here on Oct.1,1999 I was a state employee for the state of MO. I worked in Psych. Hosp. for children. And I lived on section8. I have always been a modle tenant and I know the importance of people’s property.
To make a long story short I am currently looking. I am now receiving my unemployement while I look for a place. I have not been here that long and I notice that the people are lazy. Christopher remember that you must have an idea about what you want in your property. Oh! By the way Hosp. is Hawthorn Psych. Hosp. for Children.
Located at 1901 Penn. St. Louis, MO.

Thank you,

Paris C. Whitson

Section 8 and me - Posted by Al

Posted by Al on March 18, 1999 at 08:48:39:

I have been trying to invest in a fairly good properties in my surrounding neighborhood. (Good meaning good for investing) And I have come across a problem. From talking to some other realestate investors that own properties in my neighborhood, they have told me that it is really benificial to rent the properties out to Section 8 families.

I don’t have a problem with Section 8 families, but from my experience, it hasn’t been the best exeperience living there.

I’m not talking about shootings or the like. I see the Section 8 families leaving their trash out on the lawn not taking care of their car (not haveing a muffler) and other sorts of “non care” attitude towards the neighborhood.

Does anybody have other feelings about not renting their property out to Section 8 for fear of depreciation of their property?

Re: Section 8 and me - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 19, 1999 at 09:28:31:

I have had Section 8 Tenants for 12 years, and some are still in their original units. They are as “dirty” as I let them be. It is winthin my control to inspect and file notices for house keeping. Trust me, none of them want to lose their free rent. If I put them on notice with the housing board, I can evict them, and they know it’s just too hard to find another decent house to live in. So all mine are keeping their homes clean.

As far as market rents, Section 8 pays below what I can get fair market here, so that’s not an incentive for me. I like the long term tenancy and regular rent checks.

Laure :slight_smile:

Re: Section 8 and me - Posted by Duane

Posted by Duane on March 18, 1999 at 23:15:14:

I recently spoke with an old friend of mine and found out that he is a housing inspector for HUD. I was telling him about my shotgun style 4-family where the rents are between $250 and $315 per month. He was saying that because of the section of the city my building is in, I could be getting $415 a unit, if the entire building went section 8. Now I don’t want to label myself a slumlord or anything, but I could never get that kind of rent from a “normal” renter, even if it were completely rehabbed. Also, I don’t want to drive down the neighborhood, but how do you pass this up?

Re: Section 8 and me - Posted by Jaime Raskulinecz

Posted by Jaime Raskulinecz on March 18, 1999 at 10:18:30:

Screen Section 8 tenants just like you would screen any other tenants and you will lessen your chances of having problems.

Also, expect the same behavior from your Section 8 tenants that you would expect from others. When they are not keeping the property neat and clean, send notices or talk to the tenant and explain these are reasons for eviction. Of course, your lease should have these provisions.

I deal with many Section 8 and other tenants receiving subsidies and experience many of the same problems as with other tenants.

Jaime

Re: Section 8 and me - Posted by Randy -IL-

Posted by Randy -IL- on March 18, 1999 at 10:07:33:

I haven’t had a sec. 8 tenant yet so my comments are from very limited experience.

The sec. 8 administrator in my county is a very hard nosed woman nobody wants to cross. She has a very proactive program to get the tenants working and back out of the system. Part of the requirements is that the tenants keep somewhat tidy. She tells the tenants when they move in that inspections will take place and that the gov’t expects the interior and exterior to be in healthy order.

None of my tenants have ever been Mr.Clean, but I think it would help to have the gov’t representative require cleanliness or else the threat of dropped benefits. Just a call to first the tenant then the administrator will get things cleaned up she says.

Some of the landlords I know love the sec. 8 program and others hate it. I think it depends on how active the landlord and administrator are to stop destructive behavior.

Just my .02,

Randy

Re: Section 8 and me - Posted by christopher(OH)

Posted by christopher(OH) on March 18, 1999 at 10:55:45:

I have a section8 tenant and belong to a large real estate group where we meet once a month. Its been my experience and many others I’ve talked to that section 8 tenants don’t take care of a place as good as a tenant that goes out and works for the money needed to pay their rent. My section 8 tenant is on many programs such as wic, adc, welfare and heap program. She has nothing into the rent or any of the bills coming out of her pocket. When I was growing up I wasn’t given many of the things I wanted. My father always said go out and earn the money for what you want that way you’ll appreciate it more and take better care of it. I’m sure there are many good section8 tenants out there, but keep a close eye on them. Thats my 2 cents. Keep the good posts coming. Christopher