Section 8 Checklist... I about to submit one of my prop for inspection. - Posted by Bill

Posted by Laure on March 16, 2000 at 22:34:25:

Yes, the inspector does a follow up. And if the Tenant has not completed her checklist, she is usually given a second inspection. But they will be terminated from the program if they don’t comply… just like a Landlord.

Laure :slight_smile:

Section 8 Checklist… I about to submit one of my prop for inspection. - Posted by Bill

Posted by Bill on March 15, 2000 at 16:05:27:

anyone know of a checklist for Section 8? I like to ‘try’ ans fix everything before the inspector arrives.

bill

Just a Thought - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on March 16, 2000 at 10:10:28:

I have been landlording for over ten years and have never dealt with Sec. 8. Never found the need to. But just a thought. If someone is getting something for next to nothing (rent subsidy) why would they respect it AND TAKE CARE OF IT? Everything I have heard about these tenants and the program is 90% bad. If you are getting above market rent but incur major repairs what is the point? I’d rather not have the headache.

Section 8 thanks, but no thanks - Posted by Chenel_MD

Posted by Chenel_MD on March 16, 2000 at 09:27:14:

I have them next door. I was going to put some Section 8 tenants in this house when we move. However, my tenants next door have made me reconsider.

They don’t care anything about the property they are in. The house next door is an atrocious mess. They got evicted in November and somehow ended up rerenting the same house. So all the crap that was thrown in the street is literally in their driveway and their backyard.

We are talking mattresses, chairs, tables, toys, you name it and it is out there. They let their 5 kids run wild throughout the neighborhood at all times of the day and night. And on Saturday, one of their kids broke my dining room window.

I have called the county code enforcement agency, the police and Section 8 officials. This is a nice neighborhood where the people take pride in their properties and the appearances of their houses.
I can’t even imagine what the inside must look like.

I don’t mean to stereotype, but if this is Section 8, regardless of above market rents, thanks but no thanks.

Re: Section 8 Checklist… I about to submit one of my prop for inspection. - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 15, 2000 at 22:40:53:

I have had Section8 Tenants for 12 years. In the last 2 years, they have gotten downright CRAZY ! They threatened one Tenant for not having lids on her garbage cans ! They are nuts. I am slowly removing my units from the program. It used to be great.

Laure :slight_smile:

The Section 8 Myth . . . - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on March 15, 2000 at 22:11:48:

I finally decided, a few years back, that this section 8 thing made absolutely no sense, and even though I screened their tenants like crazy, I always ended up with dirty, filthy, messy people who didn’t care one bit about the property they lived in. Maybe it isn’t everyone of them, but it was everyone that I ended up with.

Here’s my favorite . . .

They inspect annually, so after you “pass” the first time through, a year goes by and now there’s a whole new list of things that need to be taken care of. Seems like you should be able to say, “wait a minute, it was all fine and dandy 12 months ago, and the only thing that’s happened is your tenant has abused the place over the last 12 months.”

Wrong answer . . . you get to fix what wasn’t broke.

Joe

Re: Section 8 Checklist… I about to submit one of my prop for inspection. - Posted by BR

Posted by BR on March 15, 2000 at 16:25:07:

You can do better without HUD. You will lose control. I consider it VERY important to remain in control…so much so that I don’t even have leases. Month to month only! If you must…you can call your local HUD office and they will send you the requirements to let them control YOUR property.

Here’s why - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on March 17, 2000 at 11:01:01:

I have had Sec. 8 tenants off and on for about 15 years. I screen them just like any other ones and require the same deposits. If they have been on the program for a while then their case workers will also provide you with a rental history - evictions, landlord complaints, etc. - but only if you ask for it.

Why would they take care of the place? Because if they don’t, or cause a nuisance to the neighbors, I complain to their case worker and they will receive a warning and get kicked off the program if they do not comply. My complaints will also go on their record for future landlords to obtain. I find this a lot easier than dealing with the tenants directly. If they damage the place, they’ll have to take care of the repairs before it will pass the annual inspection. Under the new HUD program, the inspections are done about 90 days before the renewal date and the tenants automatically receive a 60-day notice of termination if the place does not pass. They then have 30 days to fix things and schedule a re-instection. My friend even had his Sec. 8 tenants replace a stove that had passed the year before.
HUD does periodic rent surveys in each metropolitan area to determine market rents and then adjusts them annually for inflation. So, after a while they can be below or above actual market rents - until the next survey.

The problem is with … - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on March 17, 2000 at 11:13:48:

The real problem is with the landlord for not screening these types of people and letting this situation go on. What action has the County Ordinance Enforcement department taken? Follow up with them to make sure they have. The property owner will get a daily fine of $10 - $25 for non-compliance. I have some units in a low-income neighborhood and drive around the area to do a survey about once a month. I then e-mail the Ordinance Enforcement Officer a list of addresses with specific complaints for them to follow up on - and do they!! I also follow up with them if I do not notice an improvement. Several property owners had to learn the hard way: paying big fines or having the county contract the clean-up and sending them a $2,000 bill.
It has certainly been worth my while, because the area looks much better, it is easier to get my places rented out, the tenants stay longer, and I now get higher rents.

The Section 8 Myth? . - Posted by David

Posted by David on March 16, 2000 at 06:11:41:

I have only had one section 8 tenant, it was not pleasant, However a good friend of mine has about 20, he loves them. They pay above market rent. He figures it costs him $150 per unit per year to satisfy the section 8 inspections. he figures that its a cost of doing business. he buys properties at any where from $8,000 to $20,000 cash no financing. There fore he gets to pick the cream. he doesn’t care about seller financing only low price and decent shape. he mostly does SFH and the rents are about 395 to 450 per month.
David

Re: The Section 8 Myth . . . - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on March 16, 2000 at 01:05:21:

I have had Section 8 tenants off and on for 15 years. Have not had any problems with the re-inspections. I am going through it now with a lady who is renewing for the third year and numerous things did not pass. I am installing a tub surround as the paneling above the tub was starting to deteriorate. She is responsible for everything else: broken windows, bedroom light shade, etc. that broke due to them being rough on the place. There was no dispute about this. The inspector told her which things were her responsibility to fix. When she called me about the tub paneling she told me all that she was going to have repaired at her expense. I like the annual inspections for recertification as it forces the tenant to keep up with the repairs rather than leave them till they move out so that you-knows-who will be stuck with the bills.

Re: Here’s why - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on March 17, 2000 at 19:39:43:

John-

Where do these tenants get the money for the big deposits or repairs? Does Section 8 look at their savings or is it just income? What deposit do you charge or what does the government allow you to charge?

Sorry, I’m not trying to be nosy it just seems to be odd that if these tenants can come up with these funds for deposits and repairs that they qualify for rental assistance. Please enlighten me.

-Thanks, Chris

Re: The Section 8 Myth? . - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 16, 2000 at 22:32:05:

Section 8 rents here are lower than market rents by 100 to 150 per month on a 3 bedroom. Another reason why I’m not going to work with the program anymore. Tenants here take very good care of the property, as a rule. They are so delighted when they find a Landlord who has a decent house, and will accept Section 8 that they don’t want to screw it up.

Laure ;0

Re: The Section 8 Myth . . . - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on March 16, 2000 at 09:57:14:

Do the inspectors follow up to make sure she had the items fixed which were her responsibility or is that your responsibility? I don’t want a tenant that is “rough”. Let em go somewhere else.

Re: Here’s why - Posted by John J.

Posted by John J. on March 18, 2000 at 24:11:51:

I have the same questions and have come to the conclusion that it is not a matter of having the money or not. It is a matter of priority in spending. I just rented a townhome to Sec. 8 people. The deposit was $690 - equal to one month’s rent. The first thing that they moved into their house was a $3K big screen TV. Yet, they are on more government programs than I ever knew existed. No wonder our taxes are so high.

However, just because I have a philosophical issue with all these government subsidies, does it mean that I should not rent to these people? I am a businessman and need to keep my units filled with qualified tenants.

My experience has been that they will often get help from relatives, a church, Red Cross, etc. for the deposit. My experience has been that most of the repairs for contract renewal are relatively minor. The one that is being renewed now had to replace a broken window, a bedroom light shade, and some ceiling tiles above the kids’ bunkbeds. I think that her father did most of the work.