section 8 housing - Posted by joe--ga

Posted by Steve-MO on June 09, 2011 at 12:34:11:

I think we may be confusing our personal beliefs with how we may choose to run our business. There is no blanket statement that can be made of Section 8 tenants or other tenants. Most will be good and some will be bad in both cases and you will spend 90% of your time working with the 10% that are bad. Unfortunately, your effectiveness in dealing with that 10% will determine your profitablility or lack thereof.

You can’t assume a tenant will be good or bad because HUD will be paying all or a portion of their rent. Screening and inspections are still required.

section 8 housing - Posted by joe–ga

Posted by joe–ga on June 08, 2011 at 11:13:10:

pros and cons of section 8 housing.I am looking into the
possibility of taking this task on.Please offer your ideas
and what you would do or do sifferently on this
matter…thanks in advance~~>~>Joe.

Re: section 8 housing - Posted by Tarheel T

Posted by Tarheel T on June 08, 2011 at 13:46:36:

Joe, I just started doing sec. 8 in Sept of 2010, and so far am pleased with the program.

The monthly drama of chasing people for rent has been greatly reduced.

A drawback is the red tape at the beginning of a tenancy, but for me it is well worth putting up with.

TT

Re: section 8 housing - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on June 08, 2011 at 11:33:16:

I and others have discussed section 8 housing here for years. You might want to try the archives to get a well rounded collection of thoughts. Sometimes the archives are hard to search here so you may or may not have much luck. If not let me know and when I have a few minutes more I will post my thoughts on section 8.

Tony

Re: section 8 housing - Posted by BB

Posted by BB on June 08, 2011 at 15:09:47:

I am thinking about using Section 8 in a rural county. Not much information on their website. How has everyone else get the information they needed? I surmise that I am going to have to park myself on their doorstep.

Re: section 8 housing - Posted by Dale

Posted by Dale on June 08, 2011 at 22:00:36:

Since governments cannot balance their budget and yet will be looking to give themselves a pay raise - certain programs will be cut out of the budget. I am hoping welfare and section 8 will be 2 of the programs having funding cut so Americans can get off of the dole from the government, get off of their lazy butts and go back to work. America was built on a strong work ethic and with free handouts - Americans have become dependent on the government - which can’t even balance a budget or operate in the black. Social Security has already taken numerous hits when funds were transferred from it to the General Fund and congress got a 20% pay raise! By accepting section 8 you add to the problem instead of trying to resolve it.

Re: section 8 housing - Posted by Ken

Posted by Ken on June 08, 2011 at 19:54:53:

Advertise a vacant unit as Section 8 welcome.You will get calls,screen hard like any other tenant.They will bring paperwork and a workers name,call that person and start asking questions

Re: section 8 housing - Posted by Tarheel T

Posted by Tarheel T on June 09, 2011 at 12:22:28:

I absolutely hear you and agree with many of your thoughts. I don’t see any reduction in entitlemants as long as we have “you know who” in the white house.
I am hoping for a change in 2012.

That said, sec 8 is just a business decision for me, nothing more or less. If i can get paid with greater reliability, and have less problems overall by taking Sec 8 I will do so.

TT

With Respect, I disagree… - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on June 09, 2011 at 09:36:26:

Dale you are making the false assumption that people not on Section 8 are productive, responsible people of character.

I have worked with the section 8 program for many years and have found that these tenants take far better care of my properties, do much less (if any) damage and most pay some portion of the rent.

On the other hand, the people not part of this program often destroyed my properties, failed to pay rent, committed crimes etc.

Like you there are many, many things I disagree with in our government (not matter who is in the white house) and I don’t trust what they tell me but rather prefer to see with my own eyes what they are doing. Action speaks louder than words.

As I police officer I worked a great deal (years) in public housing areas. High crime, drugs and nothing ever changed. The government cannot operate housing effectively.

On the other hand the section 8 program puts that responsibility in private hands and for me it has proven very, very effective.

As my costs decline (fewer damage repairs), few and slow turnover (with actual 30 day notice- something the government tenants would rarely do), reliable rent receipt etc. I am able to remain in business and take care of properties that also provide housing for non-section 8 tenants.

Sure this program may receive budget cuts and with that I will have to adapt. If someone is on section 8 does it make them a bad person or slacker? No. I have met more bad people and slackers in the general public by far.

I have several older women who have significant health issues. One is attached to the house by a long air cord so that she slowly move from room to room. Another was displaced by a hurricane that destroyed her home. Each of these two have been with me for over 5 years, have done little to no damage to the homes and pay a small portion of the rent from their social security (sorry not job income from these two).

I have had folks that were on section 8 who had no use of their legs and limited use of their curled up, weakened hands. One of these did turn out to be a bad able so on that I grant you their are some who slip through the cracks. Years later however I got a call from her and she paid me back rent she owed me and that has never happened from any traditional tenant.

I could go on and on but my point is that by working with the system I am able to pay taxes that support local, state and federal government programs. I have a great number of federal and state programs that I cannot believe we are funding, especially under the T.A.R.P. but housing for these folks is not one of them.

It is all too easy to point fingers at a general population but I have found that when I look deeper I find good and bad in each, including the government entitlement programs.

Those who can, should work. “A man who doesn’t work shouldn’t eat” is written but not at the expense of caring for those who have a true need.

If you find a tenant on the program you don’t feel truly needs the program then you are free to screen that tenant out of consideration for your property.

I don’t expect you to reverse your thoughts but while you and I agree on many things, I strongly disagree with you on this one.

Is it self serving for me to take this position? Perhaps, but again it allows me to contribute to the same taxes you pay which provides not just for this program but (nearly) countless others.

Tony

Re: section 8 housing - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on June 09, 2011 at 09:22:37:

AMEN!

oops - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on June 09, 2011 at 09:44:21:

Sorry a type may have been confusing. The NON-government tenants were the ones not providing 30 day notice. Section 8 tenants are required to.