Section 8 Housing - Posted by Zulema

Posted by CindyS-De on April 24, 2000 at 06:46:46:

Zulema, Here in Delaware I am just learning the process for the first time. I found a prospective tenant and after doing my own checks on her found she was acceptable. I then called the housing authority and they came to inspect my unit. They will always find something that needs to be done so be prepared for that. If you feel that you don’t want to do as they ask then they won’t let you rent to that tenant. You then corect the problems they find and they come back for another inspection and check for your corrections. You are then given the okay and an appointment is set with the tenants’ case worker. You both have to go to this appointment. The lease is signed, any monies are paid and the keys are turned over. That is the part that I disagree with. In my case the lease is going to be signed for May 1st but I have to give keys at our appointment on the 27th. I will be objecting to it and will see if there is compromise.

Section 8 Housing - Posted by Zulema

Posted by Zulema on April 24, 2000 at 01:15:39:

Two questions from a Newbie: 1. How long does it take for a prospective tenant to qualify for Section 8 Housing? 2. What is the process for an owner to qualify his house for Section 8 Housing? Thank You, Zulema

Re: Section 8 Housing - Posted by Jill

Posted by Jill on April 24, 2000 at 16:07:26:

I don’t know if section 8 is the same everywhere or not but here in California the program pays the security deposit for the tenant as opposed to the tenent paying it. I don’t like that. My opinion is that the purpose for the security deposit is to give the tenant incentive to take care of the property so he can get his deposit back. When it is the county or states money, why does the tenant care? Even though I charge a rather high deposit, cost of damages can add up real quick and rarely does the deposit cover the cost of the damage. If the tenant carries an unreasonable attitude about the “rich and the poor” as some do, and he has nothing to lose(deposit) he can easily cause damage to far exceed any deposit. When my tenants move out, they go to great effort to have the place spotless and damages are usually at a minimum. I’ve never rented to section 8 tenants so this is only my opinion. I don’t have the experience to report any good side. Also, I never like the idea of government entities snooping around my private business. I choose not to rent to section 8 at all.