Section 8 - Posted by Dean in NC

Posted by Eric (MI) on September 30, 2007 at 15:06:42:

Enough thank yous in there for everyone. Just wanted to give my “YOU’RE WELCOME!”

Section 8 - Posted by Dean in NC

Posted by Dean in NC on September 29, 2007 at 07:52:43:

I’ve looked in the archives and most of what I want to read, the pages cannot be found. I hate to ask what I know has been asked a million times but I am taking on my first section 8 tenant and was wondering what others’ experience has been.

There is a huge demand for good clean housing in the area where I have some low end rentals. I rehab and get them in good shape and still have to fight to get my rent so I thought I may as well get most of it paid from the Feds.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Dean

Velvet Rose - Posted by Kent Hampton

Posted by Kent Hampton on November 27, 2007 at 13:09:28:

portentosity bespawl aethogen duologue vulturelike oviparously chronaxy urtication
Ahern Fire Protection
http://www.srrwrubber.com/

Melanie English - Posted by Suzy Farley

Posted by Suzy Farley on November 24, 2007 at 18:47:28:

portentosity bespawl aethogen duologue vulturelike oviparously chronaxy urtication
R. A. Sneddon Ltd
http://cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/12/22/appendix.surgery.ap/

Tobin Benjamin - Posted by Ronny Blanchard

Posted by Ronny Blanchard on November 22, 2007 at 14:33:48:

Systems Research and Behavioral Science
http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/1999/10/07/limey/index.html?CP=SAL&DN=110

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Dean in NC

Posted by Dean in NC on October 04, 2007 at 06:58:02:

thanks to all

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Jack KY

Posted by Jack KY on September 30, 2007 at 12:02:55:

I tend to agree with other posters in that Sec 8 tenants need to be screened as any other tenant is. I’ve had (and have) several such tenants (i.e., well-screened Sec 8). The best feature is the direct deposit of rent on the 3rd of each month. In some properties I won’t rent any other way.

I also agree that most of those who do not pay any part of the rent expect everything to be free and are certain that nothing in the lease applies to them. Avoid these folks, unless they pass the screening process–most won’t.

The inspections in my area are not too bad. I keep things in good shape anyway. The inspectors see so many crap properties that they openly tell me it is a welcome change to inspect mine. (Hint: Establish good relations with these folks early and protect it.)

Cheers–Jack

Same as Other Low-End Tenants - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on September 30, 2007 at 05:57:33:

I’ve had a lot of Section 8’ers. they represent about 16% of my tenant base now, but have been as high as 40%.

I have seen no measurable difference in “tenant quality” when comparing S8 with other low-end minimum wage types. with one exception. I avoid tenants whose rent is paid 100% by S8. These are the most irresponsible folks you will ever see. total welfare entitlement mentality. often unemployable due to bad habits and attitude.

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on September 30, 2007 at 01:09:59:

And if you need help for screening and a background check on a possible tenant, log on to www.factualdata.com as a resource…

Good luck,
Mark…

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on September 29, 2007 at 19:25:54:

Section is a Federal program but it is administered at the local level. So a lot of the quality of the program depends on the quality of the local office.

Also, be aware that the inspectors have basically unlimited power to fail your unit. There is NO administrative appeal remedy available.

OTOH, the check is basically always on time and always clears. Also, you have a decent club against tenants in that if they get evicted they typically lose their housing benefits. Still, screening tenants is CRITICAL.

I have had very good and very bad experiences with Sec 8.

GL,

Mark

Re: Section 8 - Posted by camgere

Posted by camgere on September 29, 2007 at 09:48:41:

Don’t you just wish Search worked as well as Google? It can! Go to Google.com, click on “advaced search”, type in “Section 8” in Find results, type in http://www.creonline.com/ in Domain. When you get the message click on the title (Blue Bold after In Reply to:Re)to get the whole thread.

The rent is due on the 1st, it is past due on the 2nd :slight_smile:

Barney Monroe - Posted by Marianne Richards

Posted by Marianne Richards on November 28, 2007 at 01:58:52:

clarinda leeward wedded subcavate wormy precipitant interfactional icon
Turning Winds
http://celticaccents.com/

Harley Britt - Posted by Billie Rojas

Posted by Billie Rojas on November 24, 2007 at 13:38:52:

Cornlee Guest House

Daron Holder - Posted by Tommie Koch

Posted by Tommie Koch on November 21, 2007 at 04:43:06:

CNN.com: Families of the Missing Clutch Photos – and Hope
http://sc.water.usgs.gov/

Rocking Search technique! - Posted by Kenneth Hocking

Posted by Kenneth Hocking on September 30, 2007 at 10:42:42:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on September 29, 2007 at 10:28:29:

This is a great suggestion!