Section 8 - Posted by frederick Waller

Posted by evelyn (FL) on March 21, 2001 at 17:35:50:

a government program that assists low income individuals pay rent. Tenansts who qualifiy receive Section 8 (rental assistance) from the local HUD office. You, section 8, and the tenant sign a one year lease, if your unit is approved and meets THEIR FMV. You collect a deposit from the tenant, they move in, and in about two months you receive a rent check from the day they moved it. And checks come monthly after that. Some tenants pay a portion of their rents, some do not. Section 8 may pay it all. Depends on the tenant’s income and family size.

When you see an ad that says “section 8 accepted,” it means the owner is willing to rent to a section 8 tenant. Depending on where you are, if you have property and are willing to rent to a section 8 tenant, your property will not stay vacant long. My area, Central Florida, is BEGGING for owners to rent to Section 8. Just wish I owned some property…free and clear!!! Section 8 has its pros and cons, though.

Hope this explains things to you. If not, e-mail me and I’ll try to help more.

evelyn

Section 8 - Posted by frederick Waller

Posted by frederick Waller on March 19, 2001 at 10:37:01:

I am going to a Section 8 workshop this Thursday. Does anyone have any properties that they have converted to Section 8 housing to get the guaranteed money from HUD

Any pros and cons to people that have actually experience with Section 8 please

Fred

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Richard Powell

Posted by Richard Powell on March 21, 2001 at 05:30:52:

Just be ready for dealing with government bureaucracy.Can take several months before you receive your first payment. program in my area is tilted in favor of tenants. They can trash your place out and go get another property. You have to be willing to spend a lot of time to make this program profitable. The positive is guaranteed rent. I would only use this if your property is a less desirable area that would not allow you to find a qualified applicant that would pay their own rent
Good Luck

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Mark - IL

Posted by Mark - IL on March 20, 2001 at 22:21:09:

Do a Search here for Section 8. This should give you some usefull info. I have some Section 8 property. If you have any questions let me know.

Mark - IL

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on March 21, 2001 at 06:49:14:

Where are you? It sounds like there is an over-supply of homes available in section 8 for the tenants to just move on. That could create the problems that you discribe.

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Chad

Posted by Chad on March 21, 2001 at 16:35:32:

I’m a beginning investor and don’t quite understand what it means to own section 8 property. Is it beneficial or not. I see it mentioned in newspaper adds but could not figure it out. any info would be appreciated