Seeking "Starker Delayed Exchange" experiences - Posted by Dan_nc

Posted by Laure on March 28, 2000 at 21:59:02:

ok, brain fart ! LOL

Have you heard if Reverse exchanges are being ok’d with the IRS yet? Have they formally ruled on them?

Laure :slight_smile:

Seeking “Starker Delayed Exchange” experiences - Posted by Dan_nc

Posted by Dan_nc on March 28, 2000 at 17:13:06:

I’m considering using a Starker delayed exchange when I sell one of my rentals. Anyone with advice or experiences on the subject? Currently looking for an attorney that is knowledgeable on the subject in NC.

TIA, Dan

Re: Seeking “Starker Delayed Exchange” experiences - Posted by John Butler(Stl)

Posted by John Butler(Stl) on March 29, 2000 at 13:56:02:

I did my first 1031 last year. I used Asset Preservation as my qualified intermediary. I recommend them highly: They walk you through the transaction and answered all of my silly first time questions. Their web site is www.apiexchange.com. Their fees are reasonable($350 per leg of the transaction) so for a simple exchange it should cost your $700. Much better than paying the IRS :wink:

Hope this helps,

John

Re: Seeking “Starker Delayed Exchange” experiences - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on March 29, 2000 at 07:30:10:

Have done 3. They work great. John Schaub has a tape set/workbook with great info and all forms needed. He can be reached at 800-237-9222.
There are companies that will help you but I find their fees high. If you have a “small gain” which in their eyes is under 100K (Typical 1031 exchanges are done for huge deals with family farms or commercial property). I had several of these firms tell me my 50K gain was “not worth it”. I think that 28% of 50K is worth it! So I suggest that you educate yourself and then find an attorney in town who has done one. They are not real hard to understand, but they do need to be done correctly with the proper paperwork.
The “delayed” part is useful but should be avoided if possible because it adds extra expense and paperwork. I used it when buying 2 replacement properties for 1 house sold.
Good luck!

Re: Seeking “Starker Delayed Exchange” experiences - Posted by Judy

Posted by Judy on March 28, 2000 at 18:53:23:

For those who don’t know (including me) can you tell us what a Starker Delay Exchange is?

Thanks for your answer,
Judy

Re: Seeking “Starker Delayed Exchange” experiences - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on March 28, 2000 at 17:29:39:

Done several and they are great. Try 1031 Real Estate Services - 800-593-1031

1031 (Starker) Delayed Exchange - Posted by Jack KY

Posted by Jack KY on March 28, 2000 at 21:38:03:

I did my first 1031 delayed exchange last year. It is something unique (as far as I know) to real estate, and is a great way to defer capital gains taxes–potentially for a lifetime.

The main objective is for the seller to avoid taking possession of the proceeds of the sale, thereby delaying any capital gains tax liability. This is accomplished through the use of a third party who holds the sales proceeds until a replacement property (or properties) is purchased. At closing the proceeds are paid to the seller of the replacement property.

There are a few other hoops to jump through, such as identfying (to whom? they didn’t say) one or two (or more?) replacement properties within 45 days and closing on a replacement property within 180 days.

A whole industry has cropped up to service this need. The fee charged is typically $800-$1,000 for doing little more than holding your money for a while. What a sweet deal!

Jack Stivers

Re: Seeking “Starker Delayed Exchange” experiences - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on March 28, 2000 at 21:42:20:

Is this the same as a reverse exchange? Where you purchase the exchange property before the closing of the property you are selling?

Laure :slight_smile:

what you describe would be a reverse starker… - Posted by David

Posted by David on March 28, 2000 at 21:50:29:

in a regular starker you exchange out of property before exchanging in.
David