Self Storage - Risk - Posted by Self Storage Newbie

Posted by Chuck on August 02, 2003 at 13:33:40:

Do a search on storage in this forum, I think you’ll get an education from the results.

Self Storage - Risk - Posted by Self Storage Newbie

Posted by Self Storage Newbie on August 01, 2003 at 14:48:29:

My spouse and I are thinking of investing in a self storage company and are working through one common individual who is pooling money from us and from several other individuals. We know this individual but don’t know the others, and we’re thinking of committing $100K (which is a small % of the total needed, but it’s all we can afford). We don’t own a home and thought this would be a good investment as we’re relatively young (30s). However, we know nothing about the real estate business including commercial real estate, and we’re wondering if we’d be better off using our $ to buy our first home or whether we’re making the right decision to invest in a commercial real estate.

A big hang up I have is that we know nothing about the nature of these types of businesses, but so far the development site seems to be growing (it’s in Southern CA) and there’s a lot of new homes and new malls going up.

On the one hand, I don’t want to lose out on what can be a potentially excellent opportunity, on the other hand, I don’t want to lose $100K.