Good way to end emergencies like this. - Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV
Posted by Dr. Craig Whisler CA NV on September 24, 2003 at 23:23:19:
Call her bluff.
Discuss it with the PM, since you presumably got on good terms with him or her before you made your offer. Tell him what happened and ask him to notify you immediately if the seller tries to sell to someone else and get them qualified to rent in the park. Also ask the name and phone number of the new prospective buyer. Phone the other buyer and tell him that you have a contract to buy the mobile already (offer to send him a photocopy, by REGISTERED MAIL so you will have some proof that he had prior knowledge of your preexisting contract.) then say that if they buy it they would just be buying into litigation. Intentional interference with your business relationship with the seller wouold likely be an actionable tort in most jurisdictions. Tell them that’s what your attorney told you. Ask if that is what they want, to get involved in this lawsuit? Maybe they will get scared and back out if you can BS well enough. If this happens just once, it may be enough to end the seller’s family emergency, and breathe new life into your $3k-4k profit.
Don’t give up if it is a good deal that you have a $3k-4k profit in.
Its YOUR money, Duke, put up your dukes and fight for it.
I’d fight hard for $4k, especially if I didn’t have any other deals going. This could be a real easy battle, once the seller realizes you aren’t a creampuff. You aren’t are you?
It won’t pay you to try to enforce your contract in court but a short talk with the PM, and a simple phone call and letter to the next buyer won’t cost you anything in terms of time or money. This may be all that is needed.
I would wait a while before accepting the deposit back, especially if it is real small. Even if you do accept it back, tell her you are doing so under protest and that you are not releasing her from her agreement by doing so.
I’d also say, “I’m real sory about your family emergency, Its no problem for me to wait until it is over.” Call her bluff again.
Its good to know when to the best approach would be fight, flight, or to act in spite.
Why not wait and see what she does in Act ll, before you call it curtains.
If it is free, doesn’t hurt, or cause pimples, I’d try it.