seller financing - Posted by MAC

Posted by David Butler on March 16, 2001 at 19:59:03:

Hello MAC,

Since financing is what drives the deals, and having some basic information readily available and presented in a logical context, so you can chew on it more extensively, and go back to it as often as necessary - the absolute best answer to your question, is to steer you to the several very inexpensive yet excellent primers that should be the starting point of every aspiring CREI.

The first is Jack Cummings “Real Estate Finance & Investment Manual” (Prentice-Hall, 1997 ISBN: 0134933966, softbound about $34). To get a little taste of some of the content, you might want to take a look at our FREE report, THE 10 GOALS OF REAL ESTATE FINANCING, at: http://notenetwork.com/at.cgi?a=118510&e=Reports/goals.of.re.financing.php3

The next is William Broadbent’s definitive OWNER WILL CARRY, which not only specifically answers a great deal of what you are asking, but covers a lot of related ground that you will find extremely helpful in getting out of the starting blocks. Softcover is about $30.

Finally, get a good handle on working the numbers. Jon Richards’ excellent primer on that end of it, CALCULATOR POWER, will also give you some great ideas about the variety of deal structuring techniques that are available in creating paper… while teaching you how to understand the concepts you need to know in making the numbers work for you, and how to “light-up” a simple financial calculator to put some fire behind your deals! CALCULATOR POWER is available right here on this site for about $40, softcover.

Investing this $100 bucks now, is the wisest thing you can do for yourself… and definitely the most effective way to answer your questions.

Hope this helps, and good luck in “Papering your deals”!

David P. Butler

seller financing - Posted by MAC

Posted by MAC on March 16, 2001 at 10:34:02:

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the seller holding a trust deed or mortgage for the buyer of a propery?
(I am in a trust deed & mortgage state)

I am new at buying real estate with seller financing and am wondering If there is anything, I should be aware of that could be negative,when buying using seller financing!

Thanks for your help.