Selling home w/OUT a Realtor....advice?? - Posted by Lora

Posted by Killer Joe on August 19, 2005 at 13:36:05:

Hi Lora,

Do a Goole search on Flat Fee Multiple Listing Services (FFMLS). There are a lot of companies that can help you sell your property yourself and save a couple of grand. My brother and my youngest daughter have both sold houses this year using this method. They were very satisfied and the houses went fast. HTH

KJ

Selling home w/OUT a Realtor…advice?? - Posted by Lora

Posted by Lora on August 19, 2005 at 12:48:38:

Hi Guys,

Thanks to all the advice I got from people reading my recent post, I have finally decided to sell my condo. Because of a $12K equity loan against it (I used to purchase another property), it’s critical to save as much money as I can while selling this just to break even. I tried a realtor last year and because it tacked on another $4K to the asking price, it wouldnt sell. Most condo’s in the building are going for around $93K; I was asking $96K, and got no bites.

I plan on selling it myself w/out a Realtor.
It needs new appliances (refrigerator, stove,dishwasher) Should I buy them first and tack it on to the asking price? or should I just list it ‘as is’ and keep the price lower?
Are there any sites or old posts on here that will give some Step by Step instuctions that will help me? I’m most nervous about disclosures, title issues, etc.

thanks in advance!

Lora

Re: Selling home w/OUT a Realtor…advice?? - Posted by Natalie-VA

Posted by Natalie-VA on August 23, 2005 at 16:22:52:

Lora,

If you are worried about disclosures, etc. you might see if there’s a nearby FSBO office that may help you. They often offer free training on how to sell your home. Most transactions go well, but if you end up in the doo doo, you will wish you had a good real estate agent and/or attorney on your side.

As far as pricing goes, you should get the unit in marketable condition AND price it right. Tacking commissions and the cost of improvements on to the price is not the answer. You need to purchase the new appliances and make whatever other repairs are needed without raising the price. List it at 93k or lower to move it.

Good luck.

–Natalie

Re: Selling home w/OUT a Realtor…advice?? - Posted by Mark-Chgo

Posted by Mark-Chgo on August 23, 2005 at 15:45:32:

If the pricing info you gave is accurate, the market answered your question. Listing your home at only 3% over sold comparables should surely elicit offers. If not, then you can probably look at the condition of the unit, which would include the appliances and anything else outdated, especially in the kitchen and bath. Any updates you can do there, within your budget, should certainly be beneficial in getting a better price.