Seminars and Scams - Posted by Jimbob

Posted by Cesar on November 15, 1998 at 10:09:31:

I agree completely. I don’t believe a blanket statement should be made saying that EVERY seminar or EVERY book or tape is no good. I firmly believe in the “garbage in, garbage out” principle. If you only put negative things in your mind, then the only thing that can come out is negative things. If you start filling your head with positive things and truly believe in what you are doing, then positive things will happen. Remember that behind every failure, there is a success waiting to happen. It’s up to you to be there when it does.

Good luck.

Seminars and Scams - Posted by Jimbob

Posted by Jimbob on November 12, 1998 at 14:58:18:

Folks,

For the newbies, let me offer some free advice. If you attend a seminar and the speaker wants you to pay them to join their club, inner circle, bird dog network, university or whatever, WALK AWAY. It’s this easy, if they want you to pay them to join their club to find properties? You are being scammed, they have no money to jointly buy properties with you, it’s all a front to get your money at the seminar, they have no intention of doing business with you. They are in the seminar business, not the real estate business.

You can still buy books or tapes for a few bucks and get some good knowledge out of it, you can even go to the seminars and pick up free information here and there, but please dont give them hundreds or thousands of dollars, you’ll never see it again!!!

Take it from one who’s been there and learned that.

Jimbob

Re: Seminars and Scams - Posted by Doris E. Shanks

Posted by Doris E. Shanks on November 14, 1998 at 11:54:48:

Go to the FREE seminars - leave your credit cards and your checkbook at home. You will be tempted to spend but you will realize later that you did the right thing. Just take the free book and/or tapes --or buy the book and/or tapes but no more. I am glad I went and I have learned a lot but I feel bad for people who shelled out the big bucks before they even found out if they could make any of this work for them. Doris

Re: Seminars and Scams - Posted by Dave

Posted by Dave on November 14, 1998 at 01:16:29:

I too agree. I’ve spent over $1000.00 on seminars over the last few years and learned practically nothing.

Then last year I purchased the Sheets course. I found it a good base from which to start. I also found that the seminars I’d attended were basically useless, unless they were free. Sometimes they would provide a useful tidbit or two but not much for free.

Bottom line on most seminars is they’re all hype. Intending only to get you excited enough to get out your checkbook.

Just one man’s opinion.

Dave

Re: Seminars and Scams - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on November 13, 1998 at 22:37:03:

Jimbob,

I agree. Buy the books and tapes and only attend seminars for free information. Why give someone thousands of dollars and make them rich when you can use that money to close a deal and make you rich.

Good advise.

Gary

Re: Seminars and Scams - Posted by Doris - VA

Posted by Doris - VA on November 14, 1998 at 22:47:08:

HELP – I am posting replys and coments and I see them getting posted ok but I am getting email from the postmaster telling me my messages were undeliverable to the person’s own email address. Why is this happening? HELP!!!

Re: Seminars and Scams - Posted by BIG AL

Posted by BIG AL on November 14, 1998 at 11:28:57:

Soo sad,it is really sad, people like yourself will be at the same job same type of situaion year after year unless you win the lottery or get a big inheritance and you would most likely complain that it wasnt enough!i spend about $4,000.00 a year on books,tapes,seminars and motivational materal every year i work mondays thu thursdays 9am till 12 pm and earn mid 6 figures a year,what is the big differance between you and i.You decide to find exuses for failing,or why trying wont work.Please get the book RICH DAD POOR DAD,raise your expectations and try to change your view before a great life runs out!! AL

I agree with the three of you completely! (nt) - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on November 14, 1998 at 06:36:28:

nt

Re: Seminars and Scams - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on November 24, 1998 at 23:47:49:

What people seem to be missing is the “long-term” view of education. Everyone wants an immediate payoff. Some courses lend themselves to this quicker than others. Seminars tend to be pricier than books. Money is money, so I stay away from seminars because most of the time they are not valuable to ME. I tend to get more bang for my buck by spending my money on lots of books, magazines, Internet info, etc. which are far cheaper with much of the same good info. They last longer too.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad is a real eye-opener as you said.

Re: Seminars and Scams - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 14, 1998 at 13:12:55:

I think what Dave is trying to say is that there are a lot of William McCorkles and other so called gurus who are more interested in making money off their seminars and “training” materials and a lot less concerned as to whether their audience succeeds. I understand that everyone including the guru’s want to make more money, who wouldn’t. But when all the guru’s want is just for you to spend spend spend, it becomes very questionable as to their true intent.

I personally invest about $1000 or so a year in my continuing education. But I am very picky how I educate myself. It is one thing to pay $200 for a Carleton Sheets course that has a money back guarantee and a proven track record. It is another thing to spend $1000+++ on a 2 day seminar from some “self-proclaimed guru” who just wants you to spend spend spend and no money back guarantee. You don’t always get what you pay for. It pays to be a little cautious unless you have money to burn.