Septic v. Tapping in to Main - Posted by Smelly Plumber

Posted by Joe C. (AR) on March 29, 2006 at 15:21:19:

My buyers will usually take what’s there. If they’ve never had a septic system before, there may be questions and concerns. A visit to the local health dept. or inspection by a qualified technician usually does the trick. Of course, if there is a problem found, it will have to be dealt with properly.

If there is public sewer available, most jurisdictions mandate that the homes be hooked up within a certain period of time, and the old septic system be abandoned. If public sewer is coming to a street, there is usually an assessment of charges against the property owner.

One of the advantage of of public sewer is lot sizes can usually be smaller because leeching isn’t an issue.

Joe C. (AR)

Septic v. Tapping in to Main - Posted by Smelly Plumber

Posted by Smelly Plumber on March 29, 2006 at 14:14:35:

Do buyers pay up for a house on public sewer system, versus an identical one, next door, on septic? Does it really make a difference in resale value?

I suspect the answer depends entirely on the location. But I wonder, in a general sense, if it matters.

I never really gave it much thought. So long as the “stuff” vanishes down the drain, and I don;t have to see it, smell it, or otherwise deal with it, seems not to matter much.

Fees - Posted by Mikey

Posted by Mikey on March 30, 2006 at 11:55:03:

Depending on the income of your prospective buyers, the public sewer fees may put a crimp on the budget. Some would be more concerned about the immediate monthly or quarterly bill than the cost of a possible future repair to a septic system. If you are selling mansions, this shouldn’t be a problem. If you are selling trailers, it is a consideration.

Septic=Problems - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on March 29, 2006 at 16:14:15:

You better give it some serious thought and here’s why. First of all, septic systems are destined to fail from day one. They will last a long time if it is properly cared for. Most home owners let alone tenants don’t know the first thing about them, that is how they work and how to maintain them. Knowing how they work is a big step toward proper maintanence. There are some tricks to help with this but it is beyond the scope of this post.
Secondly, ask for prices on drain field replacement. Check the tank. Is it new or an old cinder block cess pool? This will make you reconsider. Lastly, a tank needs to be pumped occasionally. Figure that expense.
Follow Joe’s advice and also see if the accessments have been paid. It may be the reason that the property is for sale assuming the reason you posed the question.