Setting up business in Nashville - Posted by Lydia

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on August 09, 2003 at 11:06:28:


“…if I need to register a business name.” Probably not. In fact, I’d suggest you not bother with a business name. Just use your own name. Many beginners seem to think that have a corporation or business name makes them more “legitimate” or “serious.” Not in my opinion.

However, if you do decide to use a “doing business as” (dba) name, you should at least check to see if somebody else has that name sewed up already. The county clerk or recorder is the usual place to check that out, ofter under “ficticious busness name” or “dba.” Here in CA, you do not need to register your business name to operate. The only time you need to register it is if you plan to sue somebody in court, using your business name as the plaintiff’s name. Should the need for that arise, you can file the name at that time, not before.

“Also, do I need a business license?” That is a matter of local jursidiction. I can’t answer the question. Most people here can’t answer the question. To get an answer, ask the governmental officials in the jurisdiction where you will do your activity. And be a little skeptical of a “yes” answer. They tend to be biased toward trying to get money out of people.

In most places, buying and holding rental properties does not require a business license, I believe. However, in some areas it does. There are municipal taxes on rental income in some locales. Check around. Ask the governmental officials, but also ask other investors in your area.

By the way, after you make make your pile of $$$$, are you going to write a country song about it? “I’s sitting high now that I have the wealth and retain my health. I started with a little shack in the country, in the back reaches of the county. I …”

Good InvestingRon Starr**

Setting up business in Nashville - Posted by Lydia

Posted by Lydia on August 09, 2003 at 24:27:51:

I am fixing to order some business cards and was wondering if I need to register a business name.

Also, do I need a business license?


Re: Setting up business in Nashville - Posted by Rob Ricker

Posted by Rob Ricker on August 09, 2003 at 11:11:19:

In Tennessee, you only need a business license if you own a “storefront” business. No license needed for Real Estate Investing. About registering the business name, that’s up to you. You could do business as a sole proprietor and use your personal name. If you want to use an assumed name (ex Tennessee Homes) you can still be a sole proprietor, but you need to file a DBA (Doing Business As). It only cost like $20. You may want to form an LLC or corporation for asset protection after you’ve done a couple of deal. Basically, you need to seek legal advise to decide ezactly what you want to do. Check out It will give you alot of info and contact numbers.