Setting up MH on my land - Posted by Nick_AL

Posted by Chris (TX) on July 22, 2002 at 13:10:27:

… I would pay $4,000 - $5,000 per septic, or I could install aerobic system for about $10,000 that should service 3 homes. Water well would cost around $5,000 and there are regulations to consider if you provide water to these homes… would possibly involve setting up water treatment facility for the well water before it went to the homes, etc. Survey, grade work, landscaping, moving costs, intalling electric service to each home, coupled with septic and water well, would all involve an incredibly large chunk of up-front money to do. Then it would take years to recoup that investment.

It’s just not feasible. I can take the same cash, split it into small Lonnie deals (either buying and reselling on a note within a park, or buy and sell for cash… even sell for cash “to be moved”) and double that money in a very short time. I can buy a home today, start my ad on the home, and sell it for twice what I paid for it, within 2-3 weeks… typically.

So how does it make sense to invest in developing a park starting from just the dirt?.. In my opinion… it doesn’t.

If you want to know more, check out the books and videos etc., available on this site, that go into more detail on developing MHP’s.

My .02

Chris

Setting up MH on my land - Posted by Nick_AL

Posted by Nick_AL on July 22, 2002 at 08:42:19:

I plan to establish a small park on my land to generate income to reinvest into a larger park. I have 1 acre that I would use to set up MHs. I plan to offer the lots for rent or set up a MH and L/O back to a buyer for $1,000 down and 10% interest over 60 months. I will also collect the lot rent. The buyer will be responsible for all utilities.

Can anyone give an estimate of what the cost might be for setting up an acre with utilities?

Thanks,

Nick in Alabama

Re: Setting up MH on my land - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on July 22, 2002 at 09:59:02:

Nick,

Need more info for even a rough guess. Is your land on septic/well or city sewer/water, what does your zoning commision say about how far apart mobiles must be? Is the land zoned for multi-family or will you try to get it rezoned(not easy). How about Grading how much will be needed for the pads and driveways? How Many homes do you plan on putting on 1 acre? Is the land landscaped with grass already or will it be a mud pit after the movers are through? Just about all the experts here tell us to try to buy a exisiting park that needs renovating. Developing is much harder and more expensive then it initially appears. Take Care ScottS(NC)

Re: Setting up MH on my land - Posted by Nic_61

Posted by Nic_61 on July 22, 2002 at 10:05:41:

Scott,

The land is rural. I would have to put in septic tanks. I expect that it would support 8 MHs. I dont see any parks for sale in my area.

Thanks,

Nic_61