Shared heating unit/multiple unit - Posted by Tom

Posted by Bert G on January 28, 2000 at 10:48:37:

Even if he has the room, a boiler installed runs close to $4,000. I Had a Weil-McLain installed 2 years ago, and that was in the same location. Consider that adding a second would also entil re-routing a lot of the piping.

I use one boiler to heat 4 units, and the rents are calculated to cover that averaged out over the year.

BG

Shared heating unit/multiple unit - Posted by Tom

Posted by Tom on January 28, 2000 at 05:49:02:

I am replacing an oil fired hot water boiler. It heats 2 seperate apartments utilizing 2 seperate thermostats and 2 seperate circulators.
I need to seperate out the heating bill for each unit by still using 1 boiler. My thoughts were to install time meters to each of the circulators, divide the oil consumption by the amount of total hours and then allocate each unit a per hour oil charge.
This approach will save me the installation of a seperate boiler for which I have no room.
Has anyone used this approach or used some sort of a water flow meter? It seems like the time meter would be the least expensive way to solve the problem.
Tom

Re: Shared heating unit/multiple unit - Posted by GL

Posted by GL on January 28, 2000 at 06:19:42:

Are you sure you don’t have room for 2 boilers? The new ones are a lot smaller than the old ones. Weil-McLain makes a 70000 BTU boiler 10" wide by 23 1/2" long.

The other idea is to rent with heat included. Work out the cost of fuel for the year, divide by 2 units, divide by 12 months, and add it to the rent. Most tenants prefer this system.