Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by daveh

Posted by Kristine-CA on July 22, 2002 at 14:30:54:

You are right. Some people don’t like machines. And some of us have a cell service provider where the voice mail instructions about how to leave a message are stupid and confusing and I don’t blame callers for not leaving a message. I call back the numbers identified by the caller id on my cell phone if it’s from the area code where I am working. In my area, there is very little correlation between not leaving a message and motivation to sell (or buy). Lots of elderly people don’t understand how to leave a message. And lots of people are distrusting of voice mail services.

It takes so little time, I’ve found it’s worth it to call them back and ask if there is anything I can help them with.

Sincerely, Kristine

Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by daveh

Posted by daveh on July 22, 2002 at 07:21:08:

I have one of my rehab homes advertised for sale in the newspaper. I have a voice message system that captures the incoming phone number, even on hang ups. I get 4 or 5 hang-ups for everyone that leaves a message. Does anyone bother to call back hang ups? What do you say? I hate dealing with unmotivated people – including unmotivated buyers.

Re: Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by Jon

Posted by Jon on July 22, 2002 at 16:43:50:

CALL THEM! I feel that talking to an answering machine is much like talking to my toaster, so I don’t do it. (That is, I don’t talk to the ans machine, toaster is actually nice to talk to sometimes.) I feel if you can’t answer the phone to talk to me, then why should I give you a chance to do business with me? I know many feel differently, but that’s just a pet peeve of mine. If you called me back it shows your diligence and that you are willing to do what it takes. It takes just a second and the buyer will probably perk up at the thought of you calling him. Forget what all these people say about controlling the conversation, you’re the pro let your knowledge guide the conversation.

Re: Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on July 22, 2002 at 13:25:02:

Dave H–+++±-------------------

I think that this is the sort of thing that requires empirical data, not guesswork. I can understand that you might not want to talk to unmotivated buyers. And if you were selling a dozen pencils, I’d say “fergetit.” However, here the payoff of finding an actual buyer is so high, and the time to call each hangupper is so low, I would suggest that you DO call them. Even if the hangup people are lower probablity prospects, they are prospects. You need only one positive result to repay you for all the calls you make, in my view. If you find from the actual calls you make that there is no pay-off, you can stop calling back.

I have a hunch some of the hang-ups are wrong numbers and telemarketers. I get lots of wrong number hang ups when I answer the phone. I don’t have an answer for these types of calls.

Good InvestingRon Starr*********

think about this. - Posted by brad

Posted by brad on July 22, 2002 at 12:41:42:

when i was in the market to buy my first home i called about every number in the book/ads. i would find out about there requirements over the phone without ever even knowing where the home was or if i wanted it. i was very motivated but i hung up on about as many machines as i got ahold of. check your caller id and see if your getting the same number over and over if so i would call. some people just don’t like machines.

Re: Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by Tim Savage

Posted by Tim Savage on July 22, 2002 at 11:41:27:

I wouldn’t bother. You might find that they are Realtors looking for a listing, or people just curious, or someone that doesn’t come close to being qualified.

Re: Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by Clair-MO

Posted by Clair-MO on July 22, 2002 at 10:38:26:

Dave, Let me ask you a question what kind of ad are you placing? That could be your problem with hang ups! You need to be “creative” in your ads something that no other REInvestor is doing could be your solution. Why, not post your ad as you have it and see what other REInvestors think about it in a good old fashion constructive critique of it? Just a idea!

Re: Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by Buck

Posted by Buck on July 22, 2002 at 09:11:13:

Dave,

If a person hangs up, they were not motivated. You want motivates sellers and buyers/tennants. Often times people call the number out of curiosity as to who you might be.

I have a cell phone with caller ID. Often when I return a call, the party at the other end denighs having called. If they don’t leave a message, I don’t call back.

Good luck.

Remember time is money…
BUck

Re: Should I Call Back Hang-Ups? - Posted by bob

Posted by bob on July 22, 2002 at 07:58:05:

I need an answer too - I have caller ID & haven’t called anyone back that doiesn’t leave a message!