Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by Mike Reilly

Posted by Chicago Steve on May 20, 2000 at 23:55:47:

Thanks for your input.

Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by Mike Reilly

Posted by Mike Reilly on May 13, 2000 at 11:03:21:

I’m coming to the 5 Day Training in July. Should I get the HP19-II, or is there something better I should get. I would think HP would have come out with an improved device by now, perhaps a palm device for financials. Or is the HP19-II the thing to get, so when John talks about such and such a key, I’ll be looking right at the same key on mine?
Looking forward to July.

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by Mike Reilly

Posted by Mike Reilly on May 18, 2000 at 22:49:19:

Thank you for all the feedback. I broke down today and bought the HP-19BII at Office Max for 140$. I have an HP-41CX that I bought back in the mid 80’s, that still works very well, so I’m comfortable with HP’s. I’m a bit disappointed in the screen on the 19BII. I have trouble seeing it, as the contrast really doesn’t get much higher, the screen seems to just get darker using the control. Might I have a bad one, or is this typical? Other than that, I think it will be real good.

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by K Greene

Posted by K Greene on May 16, 2000 at 21:32:41:

I have 2 Texas Instrument Financial Analyst for sale $75 . This calculator was discontinued . You can compare notes simultaneously and view all your inputs on the screen.

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 16, 2000 at 18:59:37:

The 17 and 19 are almost identical and would be the easiest to learn the keystrokes on.

Yet - as you suggested, HP has vastly improved the calculator - but they went the direction of palmtops and came out with some of the first. The HP99LX was one of the first and is a full blown XT computer with Lotus, word processing, calender, etc. as well as the financial calculator functions. You can find a used HP99,100,200, etc. for around the same price as a new calculator.

They graduate from there up to the Jornada model in the $900 range that is a very powerful palmtop computer.

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Doug Pretorius on May 15, 2000 at 09:00:20:

HP19BII’s and 17BII’s sell on eBay regularly, I recently bought a 19BII (should arrive in the next couple of days) which after shipping will be about $50 less than retail.

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by William, Columbus, OH

Posted by William, Columbus, OH on May 14, 2000 at 24:05:26:

Mike: I agree with Carol. I have an HP10B and I can do every necessary calculation needed with it. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of an 17 or 19 but, personally, I am extremely fond of it …and the price. If price is of no concern, buy the 19 and learn to use it … it will serve you well. God bless.

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on May 13, 2000 at 18:00:28:

John generally recommends a HP19 or 17. Frankly, most is done with those darn 5 keys! I think the most important thing is to have some ‘working knowledge’ of whatever it is that you have.

See ya there!
Carol

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 22, 2000 at 14:35:11:

I’ve never had a problem with mine. The screen seems fine. You may have a bad one.

Re: Should I get HP19-II, or something better? - Posted by Chicago Steve

Posted by Chicago Steve on May 16, 2000 at 23:11:43:

I too am looking forward to attending the session in Utah.

I’ve used an HP12c for many years now. Is it necessary to buy a 17 or 19 for the course? What are the advantages, differences?

John Behle is not exaggerating… - Posted by Matthew C.

Posted by Matthew C. on May 17, 2000 at 22:25:50:

Uneven cashflows are tough enough to deal with mentally (for me anyway) without fighting the calculator. I’ve used both the HP 17 and TI series. They both do a good job and both are easy to use even with uneven cashflows.

I am a bit of a rebel and I tend to lose things easily so I just use a TI BA II plus because it is $30 bucks cheap. I inititially bought a HP 17 but I really did not want to break out into a bawling session if and when I lost or broke it, so I refunded it. (The HP’s chirp an awful lot too!)

However, if you REALLY want to play it safe and make the calculator work as easy as possible for the bootcamp, go with the HP series. You cannot go wrong. I know the HP12c has been a long-time workhorse but I personally feel it’s time has passed. I think the only reason it is still around because so many people have one, not because it is the best calculator for the job.

Uneven cash flows is the big question - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on May 17, 2000 at 10:42:21:

I very reluctantly stepped up to the HP19 from my 12C, but it’s a lot of work to load and edit uneven cash flows on the 12C or the 10B.

The menu system on the 17 and 19 provide some easy editing and review capabilities. They also handle more cash flows so you don’t have to break them in half, etc. We do a lot with un-even cash flows in the class.

So, you don’t NEED an HP17 or above. But it’s a lot of work for those who understand un-even cash flows and totally confusing for those who don’t - if they don’t have a simple, yet powerful calculator.

For others, I do not recommend even considering a calculator that won’t handle un-even cash flows easily. By all means, bring a laptop or palmtop if you want and there is some good software available if you don’t already have something.

Bottom line. If you have another calculator, palmtop, computer, etc. that can handle un-even cash flows AND you know how to work it well, fine. Otherwise, pick up a new or used HP17 or HP19 and life will be much easier.