sidewalk to curb...homeowners responsibility? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 25, 2007 at 18:20:46:

Thanks Frank, I read between the lines.

sidewalk to curb…homeowners responsibility? - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 25, 2007 at 10:14:46:

I have a damaged sidewalk due to tree roots overgrown. The city wants it repaired. But I had a contractor/ landlord tell me the other day that the city should remove that tree for me if I request, and that it was their responsibility.

Here’s my story … - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on April 25, 2007 at 13:07:44:

Chris:

I had the a similar situation at a rental. Got some quotes to take down the tree, and fix the sidewalk, but decided to put it off a few months.

Meanwhile my tenant heard from neighbors the town is responsible for the tree, and unbeknownst to me, call to have it taken down.

A few months later, got a letter from the town, saying after an inspection, several sections of sidewalk needs to be fixed. I went over to take a look, and found my sidewalk was in better shape than the neighbors.

Called the town up, and the gentlemen who answered looked things up and said “I see we took a tree down for you, so we normally go by to check things out and expect you to spend some money on your place too”.

I said “I got cheaper quotes to take the tree down compared to the sidewalk job you want me to do”. He laughed and said “that’s the whole idea, next time do it yourself instead of burdening the taxpapayers”.

When I protested my sidewalk was in good shape, he asked if I wanted code inspectors to do a more thorough investigation, the sidewalk, the house. Did I get permits for everything I did?? At this point, I knew if they did that, my goose is cooked, and decided not to fight city hall, even apologized explaining that it was all my tenants fault, and I’ll make sure it won’t happen again.

Bottomline, the sidewalk job cost me twice as much compared to taking the tree down myself.

Lesson learned??

Frank Chin