Siding Cost - Posted by Stephanie

Posted by Stephanie on March 20, 2006 at 22:43:46:

No it is T111. What is a “pia”. Lots of my houses have wood siding. Are you saying you would not recommend any wood.

Siding Cost - Posted by Stephanie

Posted by Stephanie on March 19, 2006 at 14:09:59:

How much should it cost to cover the asbestos siding on a 1 story 600sf house with new siding? I have thought about going over it with cheap lap siding or even T-111. Any suggestions or idea of how much it should cost. Btw, I am in the Seattle area.

Re: Siding Cost - Posted by RE King

Posted by RE King on March 22, 2006 at 23:57:39:

Steph-

I think Mark’s estimate is pretty good and it’s a lot easier to do vinyl yourself than you might think on a house that size, maybe in 1 day with a helper.

More importantly, I’ve never heard of someone having to remove asbestos siding. From everything I’ve ever heard it’s completely safe to leave on the building and cover up as long as you don’t go ripping it up. I’ve sided over many.

Also, if it’s in good shape, it looks pretty neat if you just paint it. Don’t confuse it with asphalt fake-brick siding, that stuff’s ugly.

Good luck

Re: Siding Cost - Posted by spideymanrdpd@aol.com

Posted by spideymanrdpd@aol.com on March 20, 2006 at 22:25:15:

I thought the stuff was t-11 but I had a house with wooden siding. It was a pia. I wouldnt recommend it

Re: Siding Cost - Posted by mark(wv)

Posted by mark(wv) on March 19, 2006 at 18:03:31:

Guess on the sq ft on a side , so if it’s 9’ from the edge of the foundation to the square of the house (roof line)and on a 600sq ft house is prob. going to be about 25 ’ from end to end =225 sq. ft x 2 sides = 550 is 5 and 1/2 sq of siding. so if the sides are equal thats about 11 to do it to the sq of the roof and add one more to do the angled ends. 12 x about $40 (round here)
equals about $480 for siding add $200 for trim and your in the ball park…just plug in labor in your area.

Now thats what I use when guessing costs for a siding job …your milage may vary with city or highway…

A hired out job for that size house shouldn’t run over $3000 tops… if you have the time do it your self for $1000 or less in 2 days and have fun doing it

Re: Siding Cost - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on March 19, 2006 at 17:52:17:

If you have to pull a permit to do the work you may have to remove the existing siding. It is hazadeous waste and requires special companies with special talants to do the work. It must be disposed of in special ways. And yes, it is very expensive.