Small Board Problem - Posted by Brad Crouch

Re: Microsurfer might help - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on October 20, 1998 at 02:07:31:

John,

Yes, I surely will have to try another program that functions similarly to MicroSurfer.

I finally got Internet Explorer 4.01, and when I installed it . . . it crashed my computer. Yes, the “uncrashable” Windows NT 4.0 really did crash. Emergency repair disks did not help and there was no alternative but to re-install Windows NT. Three times!

Tried “upgrading” the installation first, so I would not loose my configurations and settings. But no such luck!

I know that a case could be made that there was something already wrong (“deep inside the computer”), but the thing has been working flawlessly for the last year . . . until I installed Microsofts Internet Explorer 4.01.

I’m not willing to attempt this installation again. This was just too much work. So I guess I’ll be sticking with Netscape. There is still a lot of work ahead of me.

I learned something, though. There are other “spider” programs that will work with Netscape, and I will find one.

Thanks John, for bringing the “spider” programs to my attention. This looks like it might be the best defense against all the “scrolling” that has become necessary.

Brad

Re: Microsurfer might help - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on October 20, 1998 at 02:15:48:

Mirko,

Thanks for the info. I will be looking for and downloading “Teleport Pro” in a few minutes.

Sorry it has taken me so long to thank you, but Internet Explorer 4.01 did me in. For the last four days I have been re-installing my operating system and getting it to work well enough to get back online.

I am sure glad to know there are “spider” programs out there that have NOT been created by Bill Gates or Microsoft. I’ll find one!

Brad

Re: Small Board Problem - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on October 16, 1998 at 02:36:56:

Eric,

Naw! I don’t think the new look is “chintzy” at all. You’re probably just accustomed to seeing a blue border on the left side.

I think the new format actually looks better . . . and I like the text change.

I know that it takes a little longer for the complete board to load, but you gotta remember that all this is happening on a new computer (made necessary by the volumn of visitors) and it takes a little time to get all the “kinks” worked out. Be patient, I’m sure it will all work out eventually. Terry has done a lot of work here. Lets give him a break and not expect “perfection” immediately.

I hardley think this is the result of “cost cutting”. These new server computers are not cheap! Mostly, it seems to me, this is the result of trying to “accomodate” us.

The system of sending us private e-mail to inform us that someone has honored us with a response, is kinda neat. Gives you time to formulate a response or new question before we are actually there, typing away. This “extra” time to mull over an answer might keep some of us (O.K. . . . me) from answering too quickly, and regretting it (or parts of it).

Take care,

Brad

Re: Small Board Problem - Posted by Irwin(CA)

Posted by Irwin(CA) on October 14, 1998 at 23:36:15:

I agree. I even got back a couple of “couldn’t find creonline” type messages and it took 6 tries to get here. By the way, what’s with the weird colors?

Re: Microsurfer might help - Posted by Mirko

Posted by Mirko on October 20, 1998 at 06:09:50:

Brad, if you use Netscape you will have to scroll or drag links (W/microsurfer). The BB Script was optimized for IE and doesn?t work properly with NN. It would be great If JP would have the script for BB adjusted so it accommodates both browsers.

Mirko

Ouch! - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on October 20, 1998 at 02:26:04:

Sorry to lead you down the road to a crash. I avoided Windows 95 and then 98 and Explorer for a long time, but I haven’t had a problem. Win 95 would lock up, but 98 has been real smooth.

I worked a computer to death a few years back. We had it handling faxes, printing books, printing labels, running a BBS and voice mail. It took some real creativity for our computer guy to get the info off the hard drive.

A little while after that, we were worried about the Michaelangelo virus. One solution was to just jump the computers ahead past the trigger date. As an employee set them ahead ten days, the Friday the 13th virus disintegrated our computer.

I just bit the bullet and went out and bought one that had everything on it and was all set up. Now I just have to deal with my wife’s and sister in laws computer problems.

Re: Small Board Problem - Posted by Dirk Roach

Posted by Dirk Roach on October 15, 1998 at 24:22:39:

I haven’t had anyproblems, evrything is working great for me. Although netscape did take a few seconds longer than normal getting me into Hotmail, my email carrier. I attributed that to the large number of new Emails I had, though.
Dirk Roach

Re: Ouch! - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on October 20, 1998 at 14:52:55:

Don’t worry about it John. I guess it would have happened sooner or later anyway. Not your fault.

Brad