smoke free - Posted by bill

Posted by cork horner on June 11, 2009 at 24:29:16:

smoking certainly has become a biggie, hasn’t it.

Having been a 2 pack smoker decades ago, I can at least empathize with those who are addicted. For me, stopping smoking was the hardest activity I ever stopped/quit.

I certainly don’t have the politically correct answers. Does the pres still smoke? If so when/where?

Ya know, in the days of executioners, one of the chosen methods was to inject nicotine because of its horrendous effects on the human body.

what really needs to be addressed is “why do humans smoke” and/or ‘what feelings are being attempted to control via inhaled smoke’.

That doesn’t solve the rights of others problems, unfortunately.

Maybe its a little like the helmet law re motorcycles.
It’s the load on others that is the problem.

Democracy has many challenges, huh?

I don’t smoke, shoot up or any longer ride a cycle.

In Ca, the caveat is ‘don’t drink the water or breath the air’…:slight_smile:

smoke free - Posted by bill

Posted by bill on June 10, 2009 at 14:47:06:

I own a small office building with 2 units. Upper unit is chiropractor, lower unit is non medical. The employees of the lower unit have a problem with smoking next to the building, clouds of smoke when paitents are walking in to see the chiropractor. Their lease does not address smoking other than no smoking in the building. Can I make the whole property including the parking lot smoke free at this point? If I can, and they still smoke, what can I do about it? Thanks.

Re: smoke free - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on June 12, 2009 at 08:41:42:

My sympathies to you & to the other tenants & their patients. I solved a similar problem w/my own smoking employees by instituting a policy of not hiring smokers. I also do not knowingly rent to them. If I get a smoker by mistake I get rid of them & keep 100% of the deposit (yes, it’s in my RA).

Clearing your lease renewals w/address this problem. For now, you owe it to your medical tenants to resolve the situation immediately (today). I understand how the smokers w/feel, but I would not be worried about imposing civil behavior on them. I am constantly shocked how large chains allow the same sort of customer hazards, & in fact last month made a complaint to a store manager about employees sitting on the ground leaning on the building. The smoke was not only a hazard to entering customers, but their posture indicated to me they were doing more than inhaling cigarettes. It was dangerous, & tacky, & I probably won’t be a return customer because my complaint was shrugged off. If there is a next time I w/take photos & send to home office. I recommend you take videos of the smokers’ behavior. My guess is that their behavior is partially territorial & that is is indeed intimidating to customers.

I would address your problem 1st w/the lessee who’s employees are being offensive, & ask how he’s like to resolve the problem. If he/she is amenable, I’d also speak to the employees & ask for them to come up w/a solution. If the lessee does not appreciate the problem & institute changes in employee behavior, I’d be looking for a new tenant. If you do not, you’ll be looking for replacements for the other tenants.

This should not be a difficult decision. It is a very real health & safety concern for which you could have liability. Talk to your insurance agent & see if he/she has suggestions. You can always blame the ins. co. for the necessity of changes. Sometimes I make them the bad guy when tenants want to bring in dogs.

Think out your strategy & make a plan, but do not delay. This could co$t you big time–

Tye

Re: smoke free - Posted by Michaela-CA

Posted by Michaela-CA on June 10, 2009 at 15:34:50:

I don’t know if that’s feasible, but maybe offering something positive, instead of taking away?

Maybe there’s a little corner, that you could make a designated smoking place? Add some ashtrays and a bench?

If it’s in an area, where the tenants won’t be bothered, then that might be a win-win.

Who’s actually smoking? Did you mean to say that the upper unit (chiropractor) has problems with the employees in the lower units smoking outside?

Michaela

Re: smoke free - Posted by bill

Posted by bill on June 10, 2009 at 15:46:13:

Hi Michaela

Thanks. Yes you are correct. Actually my building is joined with another building owned by someone else and they are really upset with my lower tenants smoking near their building. The office manager of my lower tenants told me numerous times that he tells employees to smoke in the far corner of the parking lot and that only 2 employees should be out there at a time. But the neighbor says there is 6 people smoking at a time all over the place and his patients feel unsafe walking past them some times. We share a parking lot. This neighbor is a dentist. These tenants cause other problems, but I certainly cant afford to get rid of them in these economic times.

I can put a bench and ashtray out in the corner, just think they are so lazy they just want to step outside and smoke.