So many generalities, so confused... - Posted by Chris O. (WA)

Posted by del on January 29, 2002 at 24:10:23:

The JOYS of written instead of spoken word.
grin grin grin

Chat boarding is kinda new to me, so sometimes in trying to quickly express a thought, something might get missed in the translation. sorry

I wasn’t saying don’t take a state course, just some form of Real estate agent type classes might be good foundation to build upon. ( we both had voiced variations of the same idea).

I took selected courses of a community college program, classes ran about 12 weeks and got alot out of it (Maybe I had a really decent instructor. He was a Real Estate attorney). With tests along the way and a final exam that can be used to prep you for the License Exam. one knows how well they’re grasping the information.

I’m not sure how long most (states) R.E. One shot deal courses run. Like anything, the vaguenes or thoroughness, of any class has alot to do with the instructor and how they present the material alot of the time.

I Love learning all I can about R.E… It is a great game.

Best wishes, DelWA

So many generalities, so confused… - Posted by Chris O. (WA)

Posted by Chris O. (WA) on January 27, 2002 at 04:35:46:

It’s been so difficult learning about real estate investing. I read a book by acclaimed so-and-so, some articles by Mr. Made-it-rich to explore so-and-so’s technique more in depth, then am confused by Mr. Made-it-rich and have to read the Idiot’s guide, then am still left without a solid understanding of this or that which is crucial to understanding what I’m trying to get at in the first place. It’s like this superabundance of ambiguous information and generalized concepts is drowning me. So many educators base their teaching on assumed existing knowledge, and it’s soo frustrating! I just got out of high school; my experience with money is limited to paying car insurance!

What I’ve resorted to doing is developing a huge step-by-step outline for investing. All these books say they’re “step-by-step”, but, the funny thing is, I always find a couple dozen additional steps through further rigorous investigation between each step a book “guides” you through.

Bottom line: This all this web site surfing and reading of specific chapters out of different books, going back and forth, is a huge waste of time.

I want someone who had never even known what a mortgage was, before they got started in real estate investment, and used one source for education to get them to their first couple deals tell me what that source is. I just can’t waste any more time filtering out the salient info. from so many sources. I need consolidation. I need universality. I need it now, before my brain overloads.

What was the one singular source of information that turned you from a studying idler into an active investor?

Re: So many generalities, so confused… - Posted by matt

Posted by matt on January 29, 2002 at 03:01:15:

Chris,

I understand what you are talking about. All the information can be overwhelming. I’m a beginner and I’ve only been studying for a month but I know a lot more than I did a month ago. Here is how I started.

I found this site and started reading the posts. Most of them I didn’t understand, because as I said, I had no background in real estate at all. The posts made me more interested so then I started reading the How To Articles. Then I went back to the posts. I must have been going back and forth for a couple of days. The more I read, the more excited about real estate investing I became.

Then I came across a very helpful post by a guy named JOHN BOY. If you read the posts on this site, you will see some names over and over again. RON STARR is another name you will see. There are many others. Anyway, JOHN BOY had this long post that helped me focus and I found it very helpful. I advise that you read it. Here is the link:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/70929.html

Read it from beginning to end. Don’t worry if you don’t totally understand it or why it works. Just read it. I didn’t read ALL the information three times over as he suggests in his post, but there were many articles that I found so interesting or didn’t understand that I did read them a number of times, but that’s me. You may only need to read something once. If you have any questions, either search for them in the archives, or post a question to one of the message boards

I found that you will gain a lot of insight into creative real estate by reading the How To Articles and the Money Making Ideas articles. Also keep this in mind, as you read the posts and articles, you will find that it will make other questions come to mind. When that happens, do a search in the archives and more than likley you will find the answer to your questions. If by chance you don’t, post a message to the site and someone will answer it.

After following JOHN BOY’S advice in his post, I found an investment strategy that I wanted to explore more, and did a search for it in the archives, and just started reading. And now I can say that I know a lot more than I did a month ago.

I also picked up a course which I’m studying now after I posted a question to this site asking if courses were worth it or not. I received many opinions, and after reading them all, I decided to purchase one. You may not want to do that. That is up to you. You may want to go to the library and learn that way. The reason I went with a course is because a lot of the books about real estate in my local libraries were written in the 80’s or late to mid 90’s. I wanted up to date information, so I decided to buy a course.

That’s it. That’s how I started educating myself. I still have a lot to learn and I still have many questions. But the questions that I do have I can find the answers here on this site. I hope my advice helps you.

If you have any questions. Let me know.

Regards,
Matt

Re: So many generalities, so confused… - Posted by Rob B

Posted by Rob B on January 28, 2002 at 20:18:02:

Hi, I bought C. Sheets course 2 years ago and knew nothing. I thought it was a great intro. Try looking on Ebay.com. Ive heard you can get it for 50$. I got the CDs and listened to them while I drove to my work. Since then I have bought 26 units - not all nothing down, but pretty close.

Re:so confused… where to start? - Posted by del

Posted by del on January 28, 2002 at 18:06:50:

Hi there,
You might look into Community College classes where you live, for real estate related classes to get you started with the basic understanding ie. realestate law or maybe even the "learn to get your license"classes. They will give you a good grounding of the basics to which you can build from at a reasonable cost. Personally I would rather have the knowledge that an agent (theoretically) has, than have the license to be a R.E. salesman. ('cause you must disclose being a LICENSED PROFESSIONAL).

I’ve read alot over the years, some books better than others, some study courses better than others, but always came away with something that could be applied somewhere. Sometimes the material triggered other related thoughts or questions to research. Never really thought investigating selected topics or studing different sources was a “waste of time”.
Good luck in you search,
maybe you could find a local real estate investment club that would also be a benefit in your learning.
Again, good luck , del

Re: So many generalities, so confused… - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on January 28, 2002 at 11:39:22:

Your states Real Estate Salespersons course.

This course will teach you the MECHANICS of real estate.
Everything you will need to know is in this course.
Once you learn the basics, the ‘complex’ world of
investing will read like Dr. Suess.

GregNY

Re: So many generalities, so confused… - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on January 27, 2002 at 22:43:49:

… What was the one singular source of information
… that turned you from a studying idler into an
… active investor?

Washington Real Estate Fundamentals

Of course before that, I had:

8 years in the corporate world, a stock portfolio I sold before the market dived, motivation, desire, persistance, and a wife who understands me.

I became an agent and after 3 years of being an agent and seeing money left in deals where I could have taken a piece of the pie; I decided I had to review REI for my future. This site, the public library, and purchasing courses is the way to gain knowledge. My goal is to learn more in the ways of Subject-To during this year as I want to have that knowledge in my back pocket when a deal requires it. I already know regular sales and lease/options, but I still want to enhance my arsenal of education and recently purchased a promoted L/O course to see what the hype was about. Rehash for me, but hopefully I pick up something from everything I read that can be used in the future.

Everyone will probably have a different ‘single piece’ of knowledge that kicked started them, but it may be something totally different for you.

Re:so confused… where to start? - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on January 28, 2002 at 18:15:25:

Taking the course doesn’t mean you have to become an agent.
And I might be mistaken but, isn’t the “learn to get your license” class the same as the learn to be a real estate salesperson class aka states real estate salespersons course. If you would rather have the knowledge that an agent (theoretically) has, than to have the license to be a salesperson, you can take the course without getting the license.

GregNY

Re:so confused… where to start? - Posted by del

Posted by del on January 28, 2002 at 22:34:04:

THAT was MY POINT. (I’m not sure if you’re trying to attack me or?)

One doesn’t have to go through with taking the License TEST, just 'cause they took the course(s). It is a choice for an Investor to consider. You can take “the state real estate saleperson” related courses at many different venues. Was suggesting he might check the community college course schedule as a possibly more reasonable (cost),and flexible way of taking the classes of choice. Usually the related classes are broken up into different topics.

And just because a person passed a Real Estate License Test(theoretical knowledge), doesn’t truly mean they HAVE a CLUE.

As for you citing Isn’t the (me)“learn to get your license class” and the (you) “aka. States real estate salespersons course” the same? Guess what Your RIGHT. the Idea just happened to be written by both of us… shucks.

Re:so confused… where to start? - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on January 28, 2002 at 23:24:33:

I never said take the test, but one should to see
if they have a grasp of what was taught. Was it a
shot at you, NO. But the way your post reads it seems
that you suggest NOT taking the state course rather
the community college course(s) which are vague
and the cost (in NY) is much more than taking the
one shot deal. Just my thoughts, enjoy

GregNY
I apologize for any misunderstanding. The real estate
game has me turning everything my way.