SO MANY GURU COURSES! WHICH IS WORTH THE MONEY? - Posted by mandy

Posted by KJ on May 07, 2006 at 02:00:27:

Hi John,

Just call me the ping-pong kid.

Are you at the convention? If so, find Dave DeGroot and pour a beer down his throat for me. I’ll pay you back. I owe you anyway, so just put it on my tab. Thanks.

KJ

SO MANY GURU COURSES! WHICH IS WORTH THE MONEY? - Posted by mandy

Posted by mandy on April 29, 2006 at 16:37:06:

I am a newbie getting into real estate. I am mainly focussing on wholesaling and retailing properties and then moving into other avenues of real estate investing. Which is the best course out there? So many “gurus” out there with courses

Re: SO MANY GURU COURSES! - Posted by Max-Va

Posted by Max-Va on April 29, 2006 at 20:46:16:

I would go to the book store and purchase Bill Bronchick’s “Flipping Properties” cost about $20+/-
If you like the book consider the course available here and legalwiz.com
I bought the course and am very pleased with it.

Re: So Many guru courses! Which is worth the $$$? - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on April 29, 2006 at 17:38:11:

Mandy,

You will get different answer. I suggest a slightly less costly approach than the path you are thinking. I will conclude with a way to make any program pay more than it costs.

1. Go to the library. See what is free on the shelves.

2. Get down to a large bookstore. Best if the place has a coffee shop. Pick some books off the shelf and start reading. When you find one that you like consider buying it. Maybe it is an author you discovered at the library. Or maybe the books has a lot of how-to steps.

3. Find a local REIA club if there is one locally. See if they have a lending library. One REIA near me has many of the guru courses. You borrow the materials for a month and study as hard as you like. If there is a course you really feel you need to keep then you can buy it later (online, from eBay, at a convention).

4. Use this site and some others. Focus on the how-to articles, the success notes and the forums. Expect that the greatest value is found in the forum when you are trying to work a deal and you need some timely advice.

The order above is not critical other than go to the library before the bookstore if you want to minimize the cost.

How to make any course pay for itself no matter what it costs.

What does a course cost these days? $1,000? $2,500? $10,000? What I do know is they are not inexpensive.

The secret to making any program pay back a multiple of what it costs is to get off the couch and out into the market. That might be phone work or it might be driving around. It could mean spending your time pounding the pavement. It could mean sending out large mailings for 6 months. If you find 1 deal worth doing the profit from the deal will exceed what you have spent on a course. If you put in the time and effort you will earn back even more as you are unlikely to stop at one deal.

So, if possible hold onto your money or use very little at the bookstore. Second, expect that you need to have some working capital for gas, mailings, ads, attending local meetings, paying fees and closing costs, etc. Even if the deal is a nothing down deal you will still have some other costs from the search. If you choose to buy a course remember that it is a choice and no one is forcing you to pull out your credit card. Commit to doing something with the program until you have earned back what it cost you.

There is a guy up north of me who has a shirt with GOTC printed on it. GOTC - Get Off The Couch. More money is wasted on infomercials type courses because people know how to spend but do not have the discipline to follow up with action.

John Corey

I agree with John but… - Posted by TB Mel

Posted by TB Mel on April 29, 2006 at 21:03:08:

Dont forget that action is the crux. It’s the reason so many people that buy courses dont buy houses.

You wont know it all when you start if you try to you never will start.

There are lots of great books out these days I have read about 12 or 15 all for a fraction of the price of a single course. A search on this site in the archives is a great way to start. Worked for me anyway.

Best of luck!!!

Mel

I’m that guy! GOTC! - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on May 06, 2006 at 22:24:47:

Thanks for the plug John!

I not only have the shirt, I give them away to people who go full time and quit their J.O.B.

And then I sell them my $10,000 course (!)

;-)3

Re: So Many guru courses! Which is worth the $$$? - Posted by rick m

Posted by rick m on April 29, 2006 at 23:11:30:

Posts like this are why I read this board nightly. Keeps me motivated!

Re: I agree with John but… - Posted by rick m

Posted by rick m on April 29, 2006 at 23:08:46:

I find it interesting how many realtors say my practices are unethical and all of the “gurus” are ripping people off thousands of $$$ w/ false promises.

In an ordinary flip I might make $10 +/- and they want to do 1/2 the work and sell the same house for 6% which usually costs the buyer $12K+??? I am the unethical one?

In my scenario the buyer is out of forclosure, didn’t have to pay a dime to anyone and I make a minor profit for my efforts.

Don’t get me wrong, not all real estate agents are bad, but when they get all presumptuous w/ me, it ticks me off!

Can you tell I had a bit of a run in today?

Re: I’m that guy! GOTC! - Posted by Killer Joe

Posted by Killer Joe on May 06, 2006 at 22:33:00:

Hey, you closet poster…what makes you think we wouldn’t like to see more of you on this side of the world? I KNOW you got the time! Seriously.

KJ

Re: I’m that guy! GOTC! - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on May 07, 2006 at 01:16:14:

KJ,

Have you made the move to the VA or are you still bouncing between the two coasts?

John Corey