so many parks! - Posted by Laura

Posted by Karl (Oh) on March 24, 2001 at 07:38:09:

I would suggest waiting for Lonnie’s books. He teaches how to approach a new PM (and how not to). Definitely not over the phone. Any suggestions we could type here on the board are covered much more thoroughly in DOW.

Finding a good park manager who will work with you is probably the most important part of this business, and also the trickiest. Not only will you be screening them, they will be screening you. Reading the book first will greatly improve your chances of making that crucial good first impression.

Karl Kleiner

so many parks! - Posted by Laura

Posted by Laura on March 24, 2001 at 01:01:48:

I have located 36 mh parks in my area. I’m still waiting for Lonnie’s book, but I would like to get a head start getting established with park managers. Any helpful ideas about what to ask? I would like to screen out a few potentials over the phone if possible. Thanks!

Get the books - Posted by Jacque - WA

Posted by Jacque - WA on March 24, 2001 at 18:46:53:

Wait for your books first - they will help you with what to say and what not to say.

I also got a letter from Charlene (Maine) that she uses to send to parks to announce her visit. I revised it to fit myself and put it into my own words and I have been sending that out about a week before my visit.

It’s always awkward at first, as it is meeting anyone for the first time. Stick with it and it will get easier. The PM’s will become like visiting friends.

Jacque

And so little time… - Posted by Blane (MI)

Posted by Blane (MI) on March 24, 2001 at 18:38:09:

But Karl’s right, take that time and get personally acquainted with the PM’s. Your phone calls will accomplish nothing. Face to face is the only way to go. You could drive some parks, and by doing so even whittle down which ones you’d like to work in. But read the books before seeing the PM’s. You’ll save yourself headaches down the road.

Blane