Soaked floor - Posted by Bob

Posted by dee on March 15, 2006 at 08:32:15:

Not an expert but from my experience, this can be done. You may want to find out the source of the leak first of all for the total job. You may want to start with the water heater. Could be that a water line from the washer was leaking. Either way, find the source of the leak first.

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes or you local hardware store and price what it cost to buy hardwood(not particle board). This shouldn’t be too expensive at all. If you really don’t want to worry about the flooring again ever buckling up, you may want to look into putting a concrete type board down and then a thinner sheet of plywood and then whatever you’re going to put on top of the plywood as flooring. This concrete type board can be found in the same section that your plywood is found in.

If you don’t know how or can’t do the work, search around for a good contractor or someone who does this type of work. I have found that if you ask many of the immigrant workers who usually do the work for many companies today, they will do the work for a much better price than any contractor could and would ever give you.

Hope this helps

Soaked floor - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on March 15, 2006 at 07:01:08:

I am looking at a vacant older 1979 Gov Mobile Home ia a very nice park. Home is very desirable but…

The flooring in the hall near the washer dryer area and bath room is badly buckled and damp.

I suspect a hiding water leak somewhere. Can this be fixed like gutting it and renewing the flooring. Sellers are very motivated to sell.

Re: Soaked floor - Posted by Glen (OH)

Posted by Glen (OH) on March 15, 2006 at 18:53:14:

Bob,
I’m rehabbing a mobile home right now with a lot of floor damage. Dee is right. First find the source of the leak and fix it before you do anything else. In your case it could be a number of causes ie. a leak at the washer hook up or, the washer itself leaked, comode leak, water line leak under the floor ect. If the water is still available turn it on and see if you can locate the source of the leak.

That being said, floor repair is not that hard but can be tricky at times. If the floor is bad in the bath then the comode must be removed and that involves some plumbing. A handy-man of average skill can usually do the repairs. If your not up to the job, hire it out. The good thing about a home like this is the leverage you have in negotiating the purchase price. Make sure you drive the issue home to the seller about how bad the floor is.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go!

Glen (OH)