Solar Panels - Posted by Scott

Posted by Rich-CA on May 19, 2007 at 16:52:50:

I’m invested in a tracking company that uses low orbit satellites. Original venture went under after the satellites were in orbit. Company I’m invested with bought their operations (satellites and ground stations) for pennies on the dollar. They are growing like gangbusters since all their competitors are cell based and cannot track ocean going assets.

Anyway, reminds me of when I was working in the IT industry. Did one “bleeding edge” project. These never work well. Leading middle, that’s the ticket.

Solar Panels - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on May 19, 2007 at 05:52:36:

has anyone installed solar panels on thier rental units??

Re: Solar Panels - Posted by Max-Va

Posted by Max-Va on May 19, 2007 at 07:34:22:

Why would a landlord go to the expense of buying theese and then maintain them? Where is the return? Will you get better tennants? NO
Will it save you money? Maybe, but my tennants pay their own utility bills
Will it make vacancies less? No
I ask again, Where is the return on investment?

When Solar Makes Economic Sense - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on May 19, 2007 at 15:49:38:

I’ll install it at my personal residence first.

and I’ll figure out a way to buy used panels to cut the cost.

great example of this are the wind farms 40 miles east of San Francisco. the original developer went bankrupt, because the busienss model would never make a profit. they never had a chance. BUT. the people who came in behind them, and bought the windfarms for 40 cents on the original dollar HAVE DONE WELL.

I want to be the scavenger who profits from the well-meaning, ill-advised pioneers.

is that CYNICAL or what…hehehehe

Re: Solar Panels - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on May 19, 2007 at 07:54:53:

The initial cost maybe expensive. You say your tenants pay utilities, so I say rent becomes all inclusize and you add the cost of utilities to the rent which would generate cash flow. I’m not sure about the USA, but in Canada any excess energy is automatically bought by the utility company’s generating more cash, then there is RST rebate (Retail Sales Tax rebate) offered by the Canadian goverment (again, not sure about the USA) which also helps pay down your initial investment.

Scott