Sold House today to BURN down.... - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by kim on May 18, 2005 at 06:20:42:

can you explain why you sold houses just to have them burn down…

are you buying the houses…

kim

Sold House today to BURN down… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 17, 2005 at 20:12:39:

I sold a house today and the new owner is going to burn it down, not for the insurance but just because the land is so valuable and the house is not. And since he’s going to burn it down he didn’t even want to see the inside or have any inspections or apraisals. I love those cash buyers. Maybe now I’ve seen it all.

They do it here too. - Posted by Mr. Big

Posted by Mr. Big on May 19, 2005 at 17:30:06:

In small town and rural areas, the volunteer fire department will burn down old derelict houses for training purposes. It is a lot cheaper than demolishing and hauling away tons of refuse.

If you have a haunted house to get rid of give your volunteer fire department a call. Offer to furnish them coffee, donuts and beer.

Just in Newsday last weekend - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on May 18, 2005 at 06:56:28:

Dave:

There’s an abstract of a similar story this past weekend in my local paper:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/newsday/839951781.html?did=839951781&FMT=ABS&FMTS=FT&date=May+16%2C+2005&author=&desc=Burning+down+the+house%2C+Wealthy+attorney+buys+Montauk+homes%2C+gives+to+firefighters+to+torch+in+drills+so+he+can+rebuild%2C+have+view

Out here in Long Island, homes goes for millions. Some guy bought a house to burn down so he can build another.

As reported in the article, he also bought the one next door to burn down so it won’t obstruct his view of the water.

Not exactly a money, bad credit real estate investor who can only buy the place if it cash flows.

Frank Chin

Wayne’s right… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on May 18, 2005 at 06:48:53:

the fire company will burn down the house for practice. They don’t get much opportunity to practice. They would also accept a financial donation. But its a lot cheaper than demolition and removal.

I didn’t sell it to burn down the new owner wants to burn the house down. Its small frame ranch house and needs a lot of work. And as anybody who has done major renovations knows remodeling can cost more than building new. The house was livable and I thought that either an owner occupant or an investor would buy and fix it up. This buyer has a different idea and I think its a good one. Even though the house is small, it appears to have 2 or 3 additions onto the original structure. Its old and amateurishly built. It has no historic, or architechtural value. Tear down or burn down in this case is a winner.

Re: Sold House today to BURN down… - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on May 18, 2005 at 05:47:56:

David,

A burn down? Thats a first for me also. We do tear downs here in FL all the time but I never heard of someone burning a property to the ground (legally anyway). It must be in a rural area.

RichV(FL)

And one more thing… - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on May 17, 2005 at 23:53:04:

David: you are right–you gotta love those cash buyers. I haven’t been
in even half of the properties I’ve bought (and then sold). I’ve ordered
two appraisals in three years. We cash buyers get the job done (as in
we buy your property) and we get in done with no inconvenience to
you.

Thinking about re-writing my marketing…Kristine

Burn? - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on May 17, 2005 at 23:49:12:

You mean it’s legal where you are to burn a structure to dispose of it?
Since when? Or does it just sort of start on fire and no one knows
how?

The county where I work could save a lot of money if they were allowed
to burn structures in a controlled manner as opposed to demolition
and removal.

True story? He’s going to burn it? Kristine

Re: Sold House today to BURN down… - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on May 17, 2005 at 22:34:04:

You could have sold/donated the structure to the local fire department and then sell the land to the new buyer. They may have liked to use it for practice. Sometimes that is a way to make some extra profit where all benefit.