Some help for us newbies--How to assemble a team - Posted by Brandon

Posted by Dion Huey on October 03, 2003 at 22:08:11:

Hi! I think that if you don’t belong to a Real Estate invesment club already I suggest that you join one. Through an investment club you will get the chance to meet with other people just like you new to the business as well as you will meet people that are seasoned investors. You should get to know these seasoned investors and make good friends with them, take some out to lunch and ask them questions about their business and then tell them your plans. Ask them for referrals to what ever services that you are trying to put together. Once you have met with several different investors then you should have an idea of who you should work with. From there you can interview these referred individuals and make your own decision on whether or not you can work with them. Good Luck!

Dion

Some help for us newbies–How to assemble a team - Posted by Brandon

Posted by Brandon on October 03, 2003 at 12:46:49:

I am looking for some advice as to how to assemble a good team of professionals that an investor can work with over and over (accountant, lawyer, mortgage broker, banker, contractors, etc.) I remember seeing a good article on this site about what questions to ask a potential attorney, but it doesn’t say how to find your prospects. Is this insinuating that you just start with the first attorney in the yellow pages and call all of them?
What techniques did you seasoned investors use when you first were starting out, to find people that you can work with?

Re: - Posted by Mike G

Posted by Mike G on October 06, 2003 at 13:39:24:

I agree w/ other poster that you need to join your local REI club. Most of the clubs I’ve been to have a table in the back full of business cards, flyers and other promotional material from just about every professional you’ll ever need. One thing you should keep in mind is that you prob won’t be able to fully assemble “your team” before you have a real deal. Time is money and w/out a real deal at hand, I have found that most professionals won’t give you much time. Don’t take it personally. But if you create files and organize all of the contact info you’ve collect at the club meetings (and ask other investors who they use in the meantime), by the time you need to use a professional, you’ll already have a good list lined up, even if you’ve never spoken to them before. Worked for me.