someone whats to rezone - Posted by melvin l gunter

Posted by ray@lcorn on January 30, 2001 at 11:46:20:


That’s a rezoning notice… and it sounds like the notification to adjacent landowners. It is also not initiated by the county. You still need to go to the planning officials and find out what is happening.

Is one of the tracts described your property?

By the way, the total acreage as you quoted the notice comes to 254 acres, not the 317.45 noted in the notice.


someone whats to rezone - Posted by melvin l gunter

Posted by melvin l gunter on January 27, 2001 at 18:17:01:

someone whats to rezone my property which is agricultural residential and change it to M-1 which is light industrial. The company is called Lands End LLC. These people what to have a meeting on 2-1-01 and talk about it. What can I expect when I go to this meeting? anybody?

this is how the letter reads - Posted by melvin gunter

Posted by melvin gunter on January 28, 2001 at 20:50:24:

A regular meeting of the olive branch planning commission will be held on tuesday, feb 13 2001 at 6:30 pm in olive branch police department court room at 9245 pigeon roost road regarding a rezoning application, submitted by “lands end LLC.” the request is to allow the rezoning of four (4) tracts of land: tract 1 consisting of 36 acres from its current zoning of “A” agricultural district to M-1 light industrial district, tract 2 consisting of 176 acres from “A-R” agricultural residential district to “M-1” light industrial district. tract 3 consistiong of 11 acres from “C-2”, highway commercial district, to “M-1”, light industrial district and tract 4, consisting of 31 acres from “C-4”, planned commercial district, to “M-1”, light industrial district. Subject property is located on th south side of sandidge road, south west of highway 305, and highway 78. consists of approzimately 317.45 acres. section 4, township 2 south range 7 west. this application may be inspected by interested parties in the offices of the planning and building department , 9150 pigeon roost road, monday through friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Re: someone whats to rezone - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on January 28, 2001 at 13:49:02:

Hi Melvin!

Haven’t heard from you in a while… glad to see you’re still with us.

As suggested below, you need to call the local planning department and find out exactly what is happening. If this is a county or city initiated re-zoning, then something is probably up on a large scale. The only party that can initiate a rezoning other than the owner or agent for the owner is the local governing body, in the form of the plannning commission or the board or council. If that is the case, then you must know the details of the request.

What may be happening is that they have scheduled a hearing on a revision of the comprehensive plan designation for the area, rather than the zoning. People often mistake one for the other, but they are not the same. A comp plan designation makes certain zoning categories possible, but does not implement the district. For example, if an area has a comp plan designetion of agricultural, then a commercial or industrial zoning district would not be appropriate, and a rezoning request to that district would have to be denied because it does not comply with the comp plan. However if the comp plan designation is changed to a denser category, e.g. industrial, or a “high-growth” sounding category, then the rezoning could then proceed.

It would be unlikely that a private party has applied to rezone your land without your knowledge. Find out the details, and I will be glad to help you sort through the options. You can email me at


Re: someone whats to rezone - Posted by Bob (Md)

Posted by Bob (Md) on January 27, 2001 at 22:36:18:

Watch out for increases in tax assessments. When farmland is rezoned to light industrial, the property taxes generally shoot up a good bit. The property should be worth more, but it’ll probably cost you more to hold it.

Another thing to check into is that property is sometimes more valuable if it’s part of a “commercial corridor” of similar property. I’d almost bet that the people seeking the rezoning are doing it in order to make some bucks. You could end up with a bigger tax bill just because your neighbor wants to sell THEIR property for higher price.

Re: someone whats to rezone - Posted by BillW

Posted by BillW on January 27, 2001 at 21:31:22:

Melvin, Usually,it is the property owner that files to have a property rezoned. Are you involved in selling the property to someone who wants to put up industrial type buildings or industrial use? At the meeting, you should get to speak your mind. Even so, if it is rezoned, that usually means the tax assessment will rise, the value of the property will probably rise and you will ultimately make more money. These notices for rezoning are usually placed on and around the property prior to the meetings. Stop into your local planning and zoning office and find out what’s up BEFORE the meeting, so you will know what you want to do when you attend.