Spanish language marketing - Posted by Bill L (FL)

Posted by Wayne-NC on June 09, 2007 at 05:34:07:

Learn that one’s the past was a failure. Unlearn the things that created the failure of the past and relearn to blend or adapt to the future of a new history and culture of a different country. One way to make success is to copy it! When in Rome, do what the Romans do.

Spanish language marketing - Posted by Bill L (FL)

Posted by Bill L (FL) on June 05, 2007 at 12:32:26:

Does anyone know where I can get spanish language real estate marketing documents/text? In his Autopilot Selling System course, Kris Kirschner mentions that you can purchase it from his website, but I’ve looked and can’t find it. I’m fluent in spanish, so taking calls will not be a problem. I just don’t feel comfortable writing the marketing material myself since all of my higher education has been in the States. Along those same lines, have any of you had any success marketing directly to the Hispanic market?
Thanks,
Bill

Re: Spanish language marketing - Posted by Bill L (FL)

Posted by Bill L (FL) on June 07, 2007 at 06:54:23:

One of the markets I work is a small Central Florida town where traditionally citrus has been the main industry. Over the years, many of the migrant workers that came down to work during the picking season have ended up staying year-round and found jobs in other industries. They have now become a fairly strong economic force in the community and most business owners, landlords, real estate investors, etc like doing business with them because of the positive stereotypes associated with the them (hard-working, reliable, pay on time, won’t cause trouble, etc.) However, most of these business owners and investors are your typical born-and-raised small town Americans and do not speak Spanish. I feel that if I can also get my message out in Spanish I could build instant rapport with the Hispanic population and have a clear advantage over the other investors. Some in the Hispanic population may speak great English, but might still feel more comfortable working with me over another investor simply because people like doing business with others who are like them.
As was suggested earlier, I’m just trying to find a niche, not make a statement on our society.
Thanks for all the responses,
Bill

PS â?? Wayne-NC, my wife is from North Carolina. She grew up in Kernersville and is as white American as they get. I wonder what the face of our children will be like :slight_smile:

Re: Spanish language marketing - Posted by Ron Harrison

Posted by Ron Harrison on June 06, 2007 at 09:09:20:

Try http://www.freetranslation.com/

They have a great free online tool (for mulitple languages)but also have human translation for a reasonable cost.

Ron

Re: Spanish language marketing - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on June 06, 2007 at 08:25:00:

Bill:

I had advertising done in Chinese, Spanish and Russian, but it wasn’t in the RE business.

Like you, I speak Chinese, can manage reading it, but can’t write beyond a third grade level. I went thru the Chinese classifieds, found an advertising agency looking to hire a rep on a “commission basis” only, figured they’ll probably by cheap, called them and went to see them in their one room office in a run down building, and hired them.

There was another agency in the classifieds located on Park Avenue looking for MBA’s, and offering 401K plans, and I figured I couldn’t afford them.

Every so often, I would write up what I need in English, fax it to them, and they charge me by the hour $35.00/hour, and get billed for about three hours work every few months, about $100.00. They finally ditched their offices, and I now go to one of the partner’s apartment to have the work done as he’s 10 minutes away. I don’t mind as the rates are cheap.

For Spanish I adverised through El Dario, a local Spanish paper, and they do the translation and design for free if you place an ad through them. I would’ve gone through the “classified ad” route if I needed some free lance work done.

For Russian, I found a place in the neighborhood that does brochures in Russian (they have a sign out front in Russian), the dad is from Russia, the son goes to college locally and does the translation.

A funny story was I needed a large banner done in Chinese and Russian, and I was told to get a computer file from my Chinese designer, and he’ll import into his file, to merge with the Russian. I was out in the morning, and when they hung the banner I was told over the phone some Chinese passerby pointed at the banner laughed and said “no good!!”, but didn’t speak any more English beyond that.

Turned out the Chinese characters was on the banner upside down, next to the Russian.

Looks like if you need someone cheap but good, you have to find them creatively. Seems that advertising is a good home based business to start, and you might find them advertising on Craiglist yourself, as I get housewives starting up, printing up brochures, and then coming by by business looking for work.

Frank Chin

Why? - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on June 06, 2007 at 06:54:00:

They can learn English. Can’t they? Or should they? This has also been discussed a couple years ago right here on this very forum. Also, the question is who should bear the additional financial burden of RE investing in the USA to a spanish community, especially when it comes to contract time. You don’t want to be held liable for what they don’t (or claim not to) understand. Unfortunately, YOU may lose that battle. Otherwise, Press #1 for Spanish and #2 for English!

Re: Spanish language marketing - Posted by Dons

Posted by Dons on June 05, 2007 at 17:17:49:

Bill,
Since you are fluent in the language, maybe write your own material then have someone who received their education in Cuba or Mexico or Central America help you rewrite your material to be more coloquial.

You could even have different Spanish versions for each audience.

Don

Re: Spanish language marketing - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on June 08, 2007 at 11:03:51:

Bill:

Fully a third of our Spanish and Chinese clients we picked up thru our marketing program speaks good English, but prefers a business that made an effort to speak their language. One nice client we picked up speaks with an accent like “Riccardo Montebone”, but prefers to speak Spanish to my Spanish staff. He would chat with me in English, and I enjoy his accent.

Picked up another customer with a fleet of school buses, a Chinese guy. I was shocked when I was told that we got him from our Hispanice advertising, his son in law is Mexican was the first who tried us. Turned out this Chinese guy is from Venezuala, speaks perfect Spanish and Chinese, but little English.

He’s bi-lingual though not in Englsih, and we were a perfect fit for him.

Fully another third of our ethnic customer’s English ability runs 50% or a little better, can manage English speaking businesses. But we’re told they felt intimidated, and often misunderstood. One Chinese guy using a neighborhood English speaking shop complains that he brings his car complaining about one thing, and another thing got fixed. After complaining, he would get the proper repair, paying yet again, and wonders if the shopowner is “stupid” on purpose.

Then another third is barely functional in English. While one might think they would make perfect customers for a shop that is multi-lingual, they tend to go to all Chinese shops, or all Spanish shops, when only Chinese and Spanish is spoken, with ethnic help only. Some of them openly complain why we would even employ “Anglos”.

I explain to them that Anglos still pay the rent, 5 out of 10 walking down the street still speaks English, and they were in this country first. They would reply “you’re right”. I go on to explain to them that English speaking customers are actually better customers and don’t even complain as much. That usually shuts them up, or they would agree.

While the Anglo customer base is getting smaller and smaller, we found that some days, half the customers coming thru are “ethnic” from our marketing campaign.

You’re absolutely right that marketing in Spanish would make you stand out.

Frank Chin

Or maybe… - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on June 07, 2007 at 09:18:02:

You could try to contact(advertise on their magazines) some high profile investors from venezuela,Hugo Chavez scares a lot people with his policies,back in 2002 chavez was pushed out of office and
some investors from venezuela bought a lot properties in miami,fl,I personally know a venezuelan realtor who sold 9 million dollars in Apartments to an investor in 2 months , she opened up her own office after that.

Re: Why? - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on June 06, 2007 at 08:42:39:

Wayne:

“They can learn English. Can’t they?” That used to be the business model, but no longer.

I got a business in an area that’s 13% Russian, 15% Chinese, and another 10% Spanish. All the older English speaking clientele are retiring, moving to FL, and their kids all live elsewhere. An older lady who works for me that’s of Italian ancestry said 20 years ago when she moved in, everyone on her block is American, but today, she’s one of three remaining.

I used a local towing company, the owner is one of those, “you’re in America, you speak English” types. He used to have several tow trucks, he now struggles with one, and took out a larger mortgage on his home to pay the bills.

I asked him what the problem is, and he says when he get a call now, many times, the other party can’t speak English. I told him, why don’t you get one Spanish speaking guy, and one Russian. Unfortunately, he beleives everyone else should speak English.

No problem with that, except he’ll have to move somewhere where everyone speaks English.

Frank Chin

Re: Why? - Posted by RR

Posted by RR on June 06, 2007 at 08:38:36:

Without acknowledgement of a common language, national identity and historical base, no country can be considered unified. The proponents of multiculturalism have not learned from the ethnic fragmentation of the USSR, and then the further ethnic wars that have erupted within the newly formed nations. In the past, those who came to this country were anxious to be considered Americans, accepting the predominant language and way of life as their own. Part of the oath of citizenship involved renouncing loyalty to any foreign nation.

To refuse to learn the commonly used language of government, education and business is to reject part of what being an American is. To believe that one can simply BE in our society without accepting it is a serious error.
There are some people who have trouble learning the English language, the latino elderly, who need to be here to get their medications. People think it is so easy to just learn another language, I feel that people should learn English, but still have access to help in their language.
Bill l(FL) sees a niche that could come in the future ,He is open minded.

Re: Why? - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on June 06, 2007 at 10:48:11:

““They can learn English. Can’t they?” That used to be the business model, but no longer.”

“No problem with that, except he’ll have to move somewhere where everyone speaks English.”

Frank, you have been around long enough to have a justification for everything. That is a good thing as great wisdom has no equal. My sad feeling for this gentleman is why and how this ever became necessary. Is it morally right? Is it right period? Interjecting some common sense and logic will form one’s opinion as to the answer. We can all weigh in on this ofcourse and time will surly tell. I have no doubt about that.

I’ve heard that song before - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on June 06, 2007 at 10:38:08:

Now that I got your attention, Harry James was wonderful! Anyway, how true history is! Now, the inevitable future is upon us whether we like it, agree with it or not. Good or bad, for better or worse, the face of America will be unrecognizable in 15 years or so. I’ll leave the rest up to ones own imagination for futher comment. Till then, I like to hang on to what my father and grandfather built and preserved.

Re: Why? - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 06, 2007 at 12:14:10:

Wayne,

it’s kind of like someone who keeps complaining that strawberries are getting more and more expensive, the further we’re away from the strawberry season, yet there are others, that just start eating peaches.

The things is, things have changed - like it or not. You can either sit back and complain about the changes or you can see opportunity and change your business model to thake this in consideration and prosper.

Having a niche is where the money is. So, if someone can create his niche using his bilingual abilities, then ‘more power to him’.

Michaela

Re: I’ve heard that song before - Posted by Marc in MA

Posted by Marc in MA on June 09, 2007 at 17:12:31:

Hi Wayne,

I really doubt all that much is going to change. Just about everyone here originally came from somewhere else and yet we all somehow became Americans. Weâ??ve had the same thing in the past, at one point in the last century almost half of New York City residents were foreign-born. Weâ??ve had whole towns that spoke Italian, Chinese or Swedish. It doesnâ??t last. The next generation typically abandons their parentâ??s culture and grows up American. And those few who donâ??t end up second-class citizens with restricted economic opportunites. The idea of a new Balkanized America doesnâ??t seem realistic or sustainable to me, and there is little in it for the people who are doing the immigratinâ??

Marc

Posted by Frank Chin on June 06, 2007 at 12:59:18:

Michaela:

“You can either sit back and complain about the changes or you can see opportunity”

You’re so right about it.

Except, we saw English speakers also as a niche, and opportunity. We noticed most of the businesses in the area are owned by “non English” speakers, and English speakers are less than enthused. What we did was we hired native staff that spoke perfect English, rather than someone that spoke English with a horrible accent.

But by having Spanish, Chinese and Russian employees, we have a combined market that is twice as large.

Learning and understanding a foreign language in a short time is daunting. Had a Spanish lady who had a diagnostic done at another shop, but couldn’t understand what the guy was saying, as her English was 50%, maybe good enough to order burgers and fries. She paid for another diagnostic, but we explained the problem in Spanish this time. She understood the problem perfectly and gave us the job.

The lady learned and spoke English, but even here, it’s inadequate in many situations. I doubt even if I can understand a Spanish speaking mechanic explaining problems with my car to me in Spanish, if I was visiting Mexico, even if I took two years of Spanish. No moral judgement here, but I would rather have someone fix the car if he can explain it to me in English, even if I’m in Mexico.

Frank Chin

You’re 100% correct … - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on June 10, 2007 at 07:28:47:

Marc:

My grandpa came from China in 1890, became a citizen before 1900. With the exclusion laws, Chinese women was now allowed in at the time, my dad was born in China, and came as a six year old boy, grew up American, spoke perfect English, though he made me study Chinese as a boy.

The neighborhood I grew up in the 1950’s consists of German, Irish, and Italian immigrants. Our landlords was an older Italian couple with four sons, and living downstairs, we hear mom speaking in Italian, and the son’s replying in English. The sons are totally Americanized.

My dad is now 85, bought the place from this Italian couple, and immigrants moving in the last 20 years are Greek, South Asians, and Hispanics. But I still hear the first generation speaking their native tongue, and their children speaking English.

Many of our older neighbors in the 1950’s were first generation Americans. My dad, who owned and oeprated a laundry saw a well known actor, (believe he said it was a Robert Aldo) whom he recognized from TV, came in to his shop one day, and asked what he was doing in Astoria, Queens, NY. Was told he came by to visit his own dad, a retired barber. I was trying to picture who this guy’s dad was, and I was told it’s this old gentlemen who stands in front of the building down the street from us everyday in a suit, and hat, and a cane, even in 90 degree weather.

I was shocked that this actor, as American as apple pie, has a dad that speaks English with a thick Italian accent.

Having lived through it, I doubt very much the Balkanization of America. It’ll only happen if “ill conceived” measures like preventing immigrant children from attending schools come to pass. Then, you guarantee ethnic ghettos that’ll last generations, like in the Middle East, where Palistinean refugee camps houses refugess for generations.

If it was not for the illegal immigration, the US would be begging for immigrants at this point. An article a few weeks back told that Japan, with it’s strict immigration policies, is now opening it’s borders to immigrants. Apparently, farms in Japan cannot find help, and most of the elderly farmers can no longer cope with the grueling work.

Does the problem sound familiar??

Frank Chin

There comes a point - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on June 10, 2007 at 06:13:14:

Mark, nice to see you here again. Anyway, concerning your comment, it does have some merit and I would like to see somewhere along the line, the shift back to true American principles and values which is what I think you mean. Generally speaking of course, all boats rock and all have their tipping point. Many boats floated over time, and some really bigs ones, already tipped over and sank into history. I try to look at the similarities that caused the sinking. We can then plug the holes and replace the ballast. Too many passengers too quickly will rock the boat and eventually… Two “lifeboat” situation movies come to mind. One was obviously Titanic and the other was very old B&W called Lifeboat. They created very interesting senarios. “W can’t go back, they will sink us!” I believe was the line in the movie. The real estate in the world is much the same. As one ship is sinking or sinks, everybody swims to the next one. The ones that float the best are worth the most. We inherited and now own the best ship in the oceans. It didn’t just happen, it was built from nothing. Now, millions of the world are trying to get on and the rest are shooting at us and hoping we sink! It eventually WILL happen, the question is when. Do you spot the trends, see the signs, notice the direction that this country is heading? The more sophisticated investors saw it comming in the RE markets. Those that didn’t now have problems. They either didn’t care or see it comming and consequently didn’t batten down the hatches. Well, this was kind of a fun story telling session. In short, I like to look at thing in a macro sense, not micro. The many micros may look good but the macro is not. Look at the issues facing the candidates. See if you can determine the micro from the macro. It makes for good discussion.

Re: Why? - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 06, 2007 at 16:00:45:

Frank,

you’re right!
I was born and lived for 20 years in Germany. Native German speaker. I’ve lived for the past 25 years in the U.S.

Now, I have a major problem explaining to my mother what I’m doing business wise. I just don’t have the vocabulary. I never had it. The real estate words are not what I grew up with. Real Estate wasn’t part of my life then.

So, if I, as a native speaker, have problems with my native language, how can I really expect someone to understand it in a second language, that they’re not even proficient in?

Michaela

Posted by Frank Chin on June 07, 2007 at 10:23:37:

Michaela:

Reminds me of a story. The wife and I went to Guangzhou China two years ago to adopt our younger daughter also named “Michaela”.

We had a guide for the trip, so one morning they asked where we want to go, we decided to go to the zoo. Told the guide this and he said “good idea, there are lots of wild animals in the zoo”.

My wife, while speaking the language, with no accent, was weak in vocabulary said “what did he just say”?? I said in English “he was just saying there’s wild animals in the zoo”. Slightly embarassed, my wife said “oh”.

Then back in the hotel, the clerk at the front desk appears to speak perfect English, no accent, so the wife explained that the extra bed provided was a bit small for Michaela. The guide looked puzzled, and answered in perfect English, with no accent, “I don’t understand what you’re saying”.

Then I spoke up and said in Chinese, “you speak Chinese, right”?? After saying that I felt stupid asking a hotel clerk in China if he spoke Chinese, and I simply said in Chinese to him, “the extra bed is a bit small, can you give us an adult size portable bed instead”. He nodded, “of course, we’ll bring it by within the hour”.

The wife said “wonder why he couldn’t understand me”? I said “same problem as you, not enough vocabulary. You couldn’t understand the taxi driver, the word wild animal, and you gave this clerk a long story on the bed not fitting the child, and he couldn’t understand every word”.

So now, every time someone tells an immigrant “speak English”, I think of our experience in China.

Frank Chin