Speaking about problems..... - Posted by Laure

Posted by SusanL.–FL on May 10, 2000 at 10:40:56:

I had one where they put holes in the walls for their incense sticks!

That was just for ‘starters’…THEN they kicked in the A/C wall!

This mother and her two daughters were like wild buffalo on a rampage (and just about as large)!

:frowning:

I’m with you…get rid of the tenant before she REALLY causes some problems. If she is talking about suing for mice, she sounds like ‘trouble waiting to happen’ on down tha road.

C-ya

Speaking about problems… - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 09, 2000 at 19:39:28:

House I bought two years ago from a slum lord for 19k. Neighborhood is ok. Not wonderful, but not a war zone either. Tenant is paying 365/month. Never on time and most of the time, I have to serve her with a 5 day eviction to get her to pay. Also, there was a lien put on the property because she didn’t pay the sewer bill. I paid it to clear the property and the bill is now 185.00 because of the fees involved. I sent a letter and she paid a whole 20.00 of the sewer bill to me. Now today is the 9th, and of course, I don’t have her rent.

She is a PIG. But I knew that when I bought the house. I figure, as long as she pays at all, never mind late, I am money ahead, because it will take 5k to fix the house up for anyone else to live in it. Of course, I knew that when I bought the property. And fixed, it would rent for 550/ month. But I have been on a recent rampage of revamping the rentals, and really am not ready for another right now.

I get a call from Terminix today. She called them today and wants them to call me and make me pay to exterminat mice. She also asked them if she can sue me for the mice. Terminix hasn’t even been to the house yet, but he “tells” her that she can’t sue me or get the city on me. My contention is that she is a PIG, and if her house was clean, there would be no mice. She said that she can get 50 mice in traps in two days. Now talk about pushing the envelope…

That’s it ! I’m just going to tell her to leave. Give her her 30 day notice, and gut the house. Boy, I’m getting mad just talking about it. She wants the Tashma Hall for 365/month.

Fix it and L/O it for 550/month with 3k down. Slam Dunk.

Just had to vent.

Laure :slight_smile: still smiling…

Re: It’s “Taj Mahal” - Posted by Sheik

Posted by Sheik on May 10, 2000 at 10:29:55:

…not being picky…just sharing :wink:

Sheik

Just a little “Attagirl!” - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on May 09, 2000 at 22:02:05:

Laure,
I admire your spunk and style.
Sure am glad you are not here, the competition would be a pain. :slight_smile:
Good going on getting her out and making more money.
Thats a great idea.

What a business this is!
I love this game,
Jim IL

P.S. Thanks for answering my “Venting post” below on late payors.

A newbie idea on problem tenants - Posted by Travis

Posted by Travis on May 09, 2000 at 21:08:59:

I’m just getting started in REI but one of the first things my mentor taught me was if I was buying a home and the seller indicated the current tenant was a “problem” tenant then as a condition of the purchase that the SELLER has to evict/(i.e. present the home vacant).

Now I’m not a big-time REI or anything, but it just makes sense to me. My mentor always says “If the tenants were so good, then question why the seller is selling.”

Just my .02,
Travus

Re: Speaking about problems… - Posted by K Greene

Posted by K Greene on May 09, 2000 at 20:09:22:

Give her walking money . Might save you some repair bills before she trashes the place. I had the same situation. They made swiss cheese out of the ceiligs by poking a broomstick in the walls . Do not give her money until she hands you the key, and then change the locks

LOL - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 10, 2000 at 22:50:34:

I just finished the “creative spelling course” ! hehehe

Laure :slight_smile:

Re: It’s “Taj Mahal” - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on May 10, 2000 at 21:21:06:

How about this for sharing - when someone is a mover and a shaker they can spell Taj Mahal any way they want !!!

spunk… - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 10, 2000 at 07:52:42:

Not to worry, I’ll stay stuck in my rut, here in Peoria.

Re: A newbie idea on problem tenants - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on May 10, 2000 at 07:49:48:

The place was not very wonderful in the first place. Tenants have been in place for 8 years. So, I knew when I purchased it, I would gut it. Kitchen and bath down to studs. The fact they have stayed this long, has been a good thing.

They have already paid 9700.00 in rent. Taxes are only 700/ year, and I have no mortgage payment since this was a 1031 tax exchange. It’s a cash cow, even as a dump ! If they would stay two more years, they would have paid me what I paid for the house ! It was my first “dump” and I really like pretty houses much better.