Stabbed! - The latest victim - Posted by John Behle

Posted by David Alexander on April 22, 1999 at 01:57:02:

I think that he would get alot further by finding the good aspects in people and what they have to sell. More people would go freely to his sight, and back and forth. Instead it becomes a one shot sell, and no building of repeat cumstomers from what I can surmise.

To me it’s kind of like Pepsi and Burger King in the number two spot directly attacking Coke and Mcdonald’s in the number one spot. It just lacks class, and is a reason they’ll probably remain in the spot below.

I mean he attacks you about a mailing list. What does that have to do with your methods of buying/selling/investing in paper.

Conservative or not his arguments are based on emotion, clouded with misrepresented facts.

I’ve been to his site once(over a year ago) and left without even seeing what he had to sell because of his slamming style. And the sad thing is I personally believe you can learn something from everyone, from the beggar on the street to the president.

Hope he removed or re-edited what he said about you, if not sadly alot of people will miss out on what a great teacher about paper has to say.

David Alexander

Stabbed! - The latest victim - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on April 17, 1999 at 15:36:02:

I had been so thrilled to stay off John T. Reed’s hit list. He doesn’t have a competing book about paper, so I thought I might be safe. Apparently someone inquired and now his faulty memory and facts have colored me too.

It’s not a big deal, just not true. I left a message on his voice mail which since it wasn’t “worshipful” will probably lead to further attacks. I guess I knew it was just a matter of time.

Here’s the scoop - I mean poop.

John Behle—I do not recommend
Behle once tried to rent my mailing list. I refused to let him because I thought the advertising piece he wanted to send was misleading. It was made to look like a newspaper article and had a post-it note on it that looked like it came from a friend. It was signed “John B.” I had received the same piece myself previously and called my friend John Beck to ask if he had sent it. That’s when I first heard of John Behle.

I’ve never tried to rent John’s list. He has nothing to do with paper and wouldn’t be an interesting list for me anyway. The only list I’ve ever rented in my life is Creative Real Estate Magazine (a couple times).

I doubt John cares about facts, but the letter/ad he is referring to was developed and marketed by a company named Unicorp or Millionaire Consulting Service. They marketed a consulting service for Bob Allen and Mark Haroldsen.

I sued them and won over the fact that they used their infamous “John B” letter as they called it. Nothing in the letter ever mentioned me or referred to me, yet in a marketing script that we uncovered it mentioned that if they thought it was a friend or relative that had sent it to not disagree with that.

If they were upset or enquired as to who sent it, the marketer was told to say that it came from John Behle in their marketing department. I never had anything to do with their marketing department. For a few months I helped out in doing some training for their consulting staff and handling the most difficult consulting situations.

I sued them because many people did assume the letter came from me. At that time about 100,000 people per month had been reading the magazine articles I wrote for many different publications and my name was the first to come to many people’s minds. They mailed out tens of thousands of these ads per week and just about anyone with the name “John B” paid the price. Chuck Abbot, Doug Holmes and Richard Allen that developed the ad said that they chose that name because almost anyone knew a “John B”.

I sued for $750,000 in damages and because they didn’t have a leg to stand on, they settled. I just wanted an apology, the cessation of any use of my name and just to rub Doug’s nose in it a little, I received rights to use his mailing list (total junk), the Unicorp mailing list and had him sign a letter to clear up falsehoods that they had spread among their employees. I’m not a real vindictive person, so I didn’t mail the letter. I guess I should have.

Anybody want a 10 year old 30,000 name mailing list from a consulting service?

Once again, John T. Reed’s facts are messed up. Hopefully he will show his intentions are honorable and clear it up. What do you wanna bet?

JOHN T. REED - I DO NOT RECOMMEND HIS RECOMMENDATIONS

From what I’ve heard, his books are very worthwhile reading, his opinions of others in many cases are flawed.

Re: Stabbed! - The latest victim - Posted by John T. Reed

Posted by John T. Reed on April 17, 1999 at 17:39:52:

I stand corrected. My apologies to John.

John Behle - I DO Recommend - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on April 17, 1999 at 16:07:00:

John,

Yea I remember getting one of those mailings!! That was back in the days I was on O Haroldsen’s list from his book.

If my memory serves me correctly a BUNCH of people sued them in regards to that letter.

I think the marketing piece was great, too bad the people behind it were such, slobs.

I liked the info that reed claims is the first time he heard your name.

Point in fact the first reference that I am aware of the name john reed (not the same person) but also an author:

Reed, John 1887-1920, American journalist; b. Portland, Ore. His Ten Days That Shook the World (1919) is considered the best eyewitness account of the 1917 RUSSIAN REVOLUTION. Reed helped found the Communist Labor party in the U.S. He died of typhus in Moscow and is buried at the Kremlin.

Mark R in KCMO

Re: Stabbed! - The latest victim - Posted by Sandy FL

Posted by Sandy FL on April 20, 1999 at 10:05:41:

Are you sure that is the real JTR, or did he just misspell his own email address? :slight_smile:

Sandy

Knot two grate a spellor is he? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on April 20, 1999 at 12:22:33:

I don’t know why he misspelled his own name. The post I wrote would have gone to him if it was correct. I assumed it had.

Now he is posting on his site that I refused to respond to him about the inaccuracies. Interesting approach.

I’d say someone stating that Sonny Bloch had gone to jail when he never had is inaccurate. He’s had replies about his inaccuracies about Scott Britton, Joe Kaiser and others - yet refuses to even acknowledge them.

How could anyone be expected to trust or rely on any of it when he refuses to be accurate and objective?

John Reed, Conservative, traditionalist? - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on April 21, 1999 at 14:43:00:

A little off-subject but relating to John Reed. He seems like a very intelligent person. He writes well and has some good material. But in looking at his background, he seems to come from what I consider a “traditional affluent background”.

He is well educated from a good school, loves sports, a writer, got into business shortly after I was born. He seems to have strong family values because he tailors his speaking engagements around his son’s activities.

I have a picture of someone who is a successful conservative. He doesn’t seem receptive to the “newer” ways since it deviates greatly from the more conservative methods that worked for him.

Funny, he sounds very similar to what my friend was saying about this industry. I have interpreted from his writings that he believes most of the Creative RE is a sham or “conspiracy” and that he is the lone wolf trying to make things better.

Re: John Reed, Conservative, traditionalist? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on April 21, 1999 at 15:19:31:

Actually, we exchanged some productive correspondence since this happened. I guess I had formed an opinion from what many others have said. I’ve apologized for some of my comments. I fire off correspondence at times that I regret.

It’s nearly impossible for someone to be around this industry as long as John or I have and not get pretty disgusted with some of the baloney that goes on. No question, there are major crooks out there passing off manure as the solution to the world’s problems.

From what I can see he is making an honest attempt to filter out some of that.

Over the years, I’ve had people I’ve formed strong opinions of that I’ve had to change in light of new information or the feedback from others. Sometimes I even grudgingly recommend their material when I don’t particularly care for them. It can be hardest when I do like them, yet can’t recommend their material.

They may be great fun to go to dinner with or kick around the city with, but lack quality material or support for their students.

Sometimes you even begin to like them and respect them and they do something Bizarre. One I was beginning to enjoy being around tried to pick up my wife. Another went totally down the drain mentally and ended up trying to smuggle firearms! One killed himself and his wife.

So, I understand John’s point of view. If anything could beat the optimism out of someone it could be some of the vermin that have slithered through the real estate industry.

My opinion of John Reed has changed. He may have faults, but I think his intentions are good.