Stain out of bathtub.... - Posted by Lorna...FT. Worth, TX

Posted by JRay on February 21, 2000 at 07:22:12:

Lorna,

The fiberglas boat hull was the only surface I used the product on. It worked well and I believe that was because of the oxalic acid in it. The stains that it overcame were of nightmarish proportions. I never saw any evidence of damage or harm to the surface, so would believe that it would be effective on counter-tops.

The janitorial supply houses may be a good bet. If not, I would look for cleaners or stain removers with the acid mentioned in them. Failing that, a company selling industrial cleaning products may have an answer.

Good luck

Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX on February 19, 2000 at 23:19:49:

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how I can get a stain out of a bathtub? I’ve already tried bleach and Comet and it’s still there. Also how can I get the “old house locked up for a while smell” out of the house? And finally, in the bathroom the floor is tiled, however, some bright person decided to put those peel off tiles on top of them. How can I get the glue off the floor? It’s really built up good.

Thanks.

Lorna/

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by DavidV

Posted by DavidV on February 22, 2000 at 18:59:39:

I put cups of vinegar in a musty room and closet at an uncles suggestion, it won’t get rid of the smell overnight but it eventually went away.

the locked up for awhile smell - Posted by SandyFL

Posted by SandyFL on February 21, 2000 at 12:03:05:

>Also how can I get the “old house locked up for a >while smell” out of the house?

Nothing like fresh air- wide open doors and windows,… but when you have to close it up again try leaving plates of dry coffee grounds around in the different rooms. I even used this in my car to rid of the smell of spilled gasoline. It took a few days, but really works!

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Del SC

Posted by Del SC on February 21, 2000 at 24:43:16:

“Tuff as Tile” tub refinisher at H. Depot or Lowes (about $10.00) I just did one that looks brand new now!!

“Oduban” ava. at Sams Club will Ban any odor.I just did a mh deal with cats and dogs that would “make YOU sick” Literely!! and I Banned It and it’s gone!!

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on February 20, 2000 at 18:04:46:

Lorna,

When my wife and I bought our first house, it was a 30 yr old fixer. One of the things that needed “fixing” was the original bathtub. I tell you, I don’t believe the folks that lived there has EVER cleaned this thing. It was ORANGE!! Anyway, after trying to clean it with every chemical known to man, and I mean we even had oven cleaner on the list of things tried, someone told us to try a powdered cleaner called Zud.
It comes in a little can and looks much like comet. It is a white bleaching powder or something like that and only cost 50 cents or so if I remember correctly.

That Zud did what bleach, comet, oven cleaner, ammonia, brillo, SOS, and a jack hammer(just kidding about the jack hammer) refused to do. It is great and CHEAP! If you can find it, buy it!

Hope this helps!

WilliamGA

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Bill K. - FL

Posted by Bill K. - FL on February 20, 2000 at 09:06:40:

Hi Lorna,
If the tub is really bad looking, consider refinishing it. With the smell problem get a few Renuzit air fresheners and leave out. I like the super odor control ones. What about the carpets? Have them steam cleaned possibly. Also pour bleach into the toilets and let stand. If you have central ac that is musty smelling place a tray of liquid bleach inside the air handler area and run the a/c. (this would also get rid of the smell you described)

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Brad Crouch

Posted by Brad Crouch on February 20, 2000 at 04:02:35:

Lorna,

For getting the glue off the floor, try “Carter’s rubber cement thinner”. I’m sure there are other brand names that work as well. It comes in a 1 pint can and costs about $4.25.

This stuff also works great on those computer diskettes that have had the labels removed, and have that sticky residue remaining.

Good luck,

Brad

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on February 20, 2000 at 03:10:13:

If you can’t get Dr.Chang to make a house call and you can’t get over to a supply house right away you may want to see if denture cleansing tablets do the trick.

Home Depot may have an adhesive remover or if it is not solid try WD-40.

-Good Luck,Chris

Ancient Chinese Way! - Posted by Dr Chang

Posted by Dr Chang on February 20, 2000 at 02:14:27:

For stain in bath tub, try this Ancient Chinese Secret.

Take some ashes from your coal stove and rub. Stain will be gone, I promise or your money back. (Ha, Ha)

Dr Chang.

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on February 20, 2000 at 24:06:29:

For the stained tub, go to:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/sep99/40377.html

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

SandyFL…Thanks for the suggestion. (nt) - Posted by Lorna…Ft. Worth, TX

Posted by Lorna…Ft. Worth, TX on February 21, 2000 at 18:59:00:

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Lorna…Ft. Worth, TX

Posted by Lorna…Ft. Worth, TX on February 21, 2000 at 19:05:09:

Del,

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll check out Home Depot tomorrow.

God bless.

Lorna/

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX on February 20, 2000 at 21:09:45:

William,

Thanks for your reply to my post. Everyone has been so helpful. I guess I’ll use the product that I am able to locate first.

God bless.

Lorna/

Re: Stain out of bathtub… - Posted by JRay

Posted by JRay on February 20, 2000 at 21:05:05:

William and Lorna,

Your posts reminded me of my frustations in the 70’s when I had a fiberglas ski boat. The boat was left in the slip in the winters and the water was extremely hard. The result was that in the spring, it had to be hauled out and the hull cleaned and waxed. We went thru the whole list you mentioned and nothing was really effective. Finally, a neighbor worked for a company that made a product called “DELETE”, recommended that I give it a try. It worked great until it could no longer be found. He left the company and moved.

After more searching, I discovered your recommendation “ZUD”, and found it worked as well as Delete. Both these products had the ingredient, oxalic acid, in them. This was the bleaching agent.

The stain had penetrated the surface of the fiberglas down into the material. The oxalic acid went after it and bleached it out. It was astonishing.

Zud went on like Comet or Ajax, and then was left 30 minutes to an hour for the acid to work, then cleaned or buffed off.

Both of the above products worked well in the described situation. It took a lot of elbow grease and time. Also, you are warned to wear some type of kitchen gloves. It will take the hide off.

Good luck

Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX on February 20, 2000 at 14:51:44:

Bill,

The tub is not terribly bad…if I had the funds available I’d just get rid of it(I’m moving in there). As for the smell, someone suggested baking soda. I sprinkled some throughout the house yesterday, however, I’ve not gone back today to see if there’s any improvement. The same person also suggested charcoal. If the baking soda doesn’t work I’ll also try the charcoal.

Thanks for your suggestion.

God Bless.

Lorna/

Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX on February 20, 2000 at 14:54:29:

Brad,

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I’d had time to check my messages before I went to church I would have been able to check if Lowe’s or Home Depot carry the Carter’s rubber cement thinner.

God bless.

Lorna/

Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX on February 20, 2000 at 14:57:54:

Chris,

Thanks for your reply to my post. I never thought to try denture adhesive remover.

Ya learn somethin’ new every day. : )

God Bless.

Lorna/

((((((((STOP)))))))))) Don’t do that! - Posted by Dr Chang

Posted by Dr Chang on February 20, 2000 at 03:20:52:

WD 40 will stink out the house worse than it smells already. “DON’T GO THAT ROUTE” whatever you do!
Denture cleaning tablets? "C’mon Chris Get Real, nothing works like my Ancient Chinese Secret. {NOTHING}

Dr Chang

Re: Ancient Chinese Way! - Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX

Posted by Lorna…FT. Worth, TX on February 20, 2000 at 15:00:33:

Dr. Chang,

Thanks for your suggestion. I still have some ashes left in my fireplace…would that work as well?

How 'bout that house call Chris spoke about?

God bless.

Lorna/