Stakes for bandit signs - Posted by Staking bandit signs

Posted by Jim FL on April 04, 2002 at 24:49:10:

Tim,
That was maybe the funniest post I’ve read in a while, thanks for taking the time.
LOL!
good one,
Jim FL

Stakes for bandit signs - Posted by Staking bandit signs

Posted by Staking bandit signs on April 03, 2002 at 22:39:06:

What size and kind of wood stake do you use for 18" x 24" bandit signs made of choroplast(sp?). There’s a stiff wind where I farm. Is stapling the signs to the stakes the best way or what? Thanks ahead for replies.

Re: Stakes for bandit signs - Posted by Larry In CA

Posted by Larry In CA on April 04, 2002 at 16:02:57:

At HD 1"X 3" 30 inch stakes are about $10 for 25 in a bundle. I use 3/4 inch roofing nails to affix the sign to the stake.

Re: Stakes for bandit signs - Posted by Hank

Posted by Hank on April 04, 2002 at 15:39:51:

Get a roll of galvanized wire from home H.D. , cut sections as long as you want , and then stick them up the … er… um … flutes - that’s it, flutes.

Much cheaper than those darn stakes, and you’ll be able to put one sign up at every corner of an intersection in the same time it takes to pound in one stake and then fasten one frigg’n’ sign onto it.

Re: Stakes for bandit signs - Posted by Mike (IN)

Posted by Mike (IN) on April 04, 2002 at 07:45:29:

I buy the “Contractor Stakes” from Home Depot…I think they are about 24inches long. I “Screw” my bandit signs to the stakes with 1/2 inch drywall screws. I used to staple…but with high winds the staples eventually came loose! Also, with screws, you can hammer the stake into the ground with the sign already attached and they don’t come loose!

With our mask and cape on!! - Posted by investorrob

Posted by investorrob on April 03, 2002 at 23:33:52:

I use 1" wall board screws and a battery drill motor 1 on top 1 on the bottom. Seems to not split the stake so much like a nail. It also goes faster than pounding the nail in. I put mine signs up Friday eve. take down Sun. eve. I like the wood stakes. Some Banditeers here use steel rod stake like.

Depends how long you are going to leave yours up. If you were just putting them up for the weekend 3 foot or a little longer wood stake would be long enouph to keep them from blowing over. Pounding in with a hammer. What I typed in the P.S. is for some of the old timers. Hope my post will help you.

investorrob
P.S> Ok guys we all were new to this at one time. He He I expect some more flack on our flutie signs. :slight_smile:
Joe? :wink: But Hey they work.

Re: Stakes for bandit signs - Posted by AdamFL

Posted by AdamFL on April 03, 2002 at 23:25:00:

Here’s a URL posted on this board some time ago. I’ve never used them, however.

http://www.signsupplystore.com/magnetic.asp

AdamFL

Re: Stakes for bandit signs - Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA)

Posted by Tim Fierro (Tacoma, WA) on April 03, 2002 at 22:57:35:

You will probably need to get a good nail gun and nail the signs on to 2x4’s. The 2x4’s should be cut to about 3’ lengths. The first 18" are used to hold the sign, and you use the other 18" to secure the sign to the ground. Get an old 5 gallon bucket and use this as the mixing station. Pour in concrete and mix until it is slightly soupy. Grab your post hole digger and head out into the night.

Dig the hole first before you put any concrete in. Try to get the hole down to about 2’. When you have the dirt out of the hole, place the sign in and have the sign stick out about 6" from the ground. Now hold it and pour the concrete into the hole about 12" worth. Hold it steady, then fill the hole the rest of the way up with the dirt you took out and secure the sign. You may have to hold the sign for a few minutes while the concrete settles into place and starts to firm up. Repeat on each corner you want your sign placed on.

You might want to get a partner to help with this as it will go easier and faster with 2 people. Just start an LLC in Nevada for a 2 member LLC. Use this for installing the signs. For signs you want to later go back and get, start an S-Corporation for the keepers. Have your attorney review all the paperwork to insure you are not doing all the digging and your partner really is helping out. Unless he is just the money partner.