Starting out - Posted by Leo

Posted by Vince on January 08, 2001 at 18:44:44:

Hi Jim,
I would also read a few books. Among them would be: "Creating Wealth and Nothing Down by Robert Allen, A book called “owner will carry.” A book called “real estate money machine.” The information in these books is very good for a beginner looking to see how creative deals are done. But the best thing you can do is to read all the posts here in all the areas. Get a feel for how others are doing their deals and ask questions when you see things that spark your interest or creativity. When you reach a milestone in your education (for example – when you finish the books) post questions about what you’ve learned and ask about specific techniques. I’ve learned a ton from just reading the posts here. They allow you to “get into the mind” of the Creative RE Investor.

And above all… DON’T QUIT!!! Say to yourself right now: “I can do ANYTHING any other person can do if I just give myself the knowledge they have.” The only thing separating you from the “Gurus” in the business is information. Get the information and become one of the “Gurus.” I certainly plan to. And why not? The more more you know, the more you’ll grow… the more you grow the greater freedom you’ll know. And that’s what it’s all about…

One final thought: STAY AWAY FROM NAYSAYERS!!! That includes Real Estate Agents who will tell you that these things cannot be done. They can be done. You just have to learn how. The key is “make the motivated sellers come to you.” That way, you can suggest just about anything you want as long as it solves the problem. Anxious people are seldom very picky. Real Estate Agents are seldom very creative. The capital that you must preserve over all others is your “intellectual capital.” Don’t let ANYONE inside your mind.

Best of fortune to you! This stuff is real.

Vince

Starting out - Posted by Leo

Posted by Leo on January 08, 2001 at 14:09:41:

I am just starting out in the world of real estate investing? What is the best way to learn about real estate. I was thinking about getting Carlton Sheets no money down system. Also is getting a realtors license a good idea?
Leo

Re: Starting out - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 08, 2001 at 15:20:33:

Leo,
You have already made a better move than most people wishing to start out in this business, and that is by coming here to CRE.
Read all you can here, including the “How to” articles, Money Making ideas, success stories and posts.
Then, get a course or two and study them completely.
As you read, come here and post questions.
Then, get out there and make things happen, take action.
A RE agent license is not needed, and some will tell you it is a hinderance.
I do not have one and never will.
No need for it.

Just read all you can here, and get some books/courses to look over.
Before you buy a course, read the info offered here for free, and also goto your local library and get some books on investing.
Then, take a look at all the courses offered here for sale.
They are all good, and depending on what you want to do investing wise, you can pick the course that best suits you.

HTH,
Jim IL

P.S. If you are looking for feedback on the C. Sheets course, I can tell you from personal experience that it does have some material worth the price, as any course does.
But, it is rather basic.
I’d use it more as a foundation to learn terms and lingo, plus some strategies.
Then, after you read here and have that course, get another one to expand your tool box.