Starting to try - Posted by Brian

Posted by Doug ON on March 04, 2002 at 12:58:38:

Hi Jesse. Not this year, maybe next.

Starting to try - Posted by Brian

Posted by Brian on March 04, 2002 at 09:11:44:

I have been checking out websites and doing what I can to find out all the information I need to know to get started. I own my home but as far as knowing what went on at closing I’m clueless. (I’m only 24 so I have only been exposed to the “real world” for about 5 years) The only thing I can find on the www are articles that skim the surface, and I don’t want to go into something without atleast knowing the basics. Do any of you recommend a site, a program to buy or any of the like? I am fired up and ready to start working but holding myself back until I am “ready”. From what I read, the amount of debt I have will greatly affect my credit so I will need to start with flipping. I have looked for investors in my area and can’t find any I know there has to be some out there, I just can’t find them. Also I can’t find a “money partner” so I guess I’m on my own with that part too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Firefighter/EMT - Ga.

Re: Starting to try - Posted by Doug ON

Posted by Doug ON on March 04, 2002 at 09:39:25:

Allow me to share what little experience I have in this business…

1. Stop holding yourself back. No matter how much you read, you will NEVER get ‘ready’ through studying. I studied for almost 4 years and you know what? It didn’t get me anywhere!

2. Everything you need to know is contained within this site, and the other REI sites around the web…plus you should really get one good course that has the appropriate paperwork for whichever technique you want to use.

3. Get yourself a call sheet, or write one up for yourself, something that lists the key questions you need to ask to write up an offer. Various sites have at least one call sheet available for download.

4. Just start calling on newspaper ads. When I started doing this, my real world learning blew past all the years of reading I did. I’ve learned that this business has very little to do with buying techniques, to which I had devoted so much time to learning. This business is all about TALKING WITH PEOPLE!

I’ve found that the more people I talk to, the more comfortable I become talking to them, the closer my first deal gets. True, you have to sort through a lot of people before one of them decides that your way is the best way for them, but if you enjoy yourself as you get to know all these people, it won’t seem like work…well, it doesn’t to me anyway :slight_smile:

Hey Doug! - Posted by Jesse (CO)

Posted by Jesse (CO) on March 04, 2002 at 12:39:11:

Will we be seeing you in Atlanta?

Jesse (CO)