Steps to buy/sell a used mobile home? - Posted by gregoryvg (in Virginia)
Posted by gregoryvg (in Virginia) on July 11, 2003 at 13:05:16:
I’m going to be buying and selling mobile homes in Virginia very soon. The following is what I understand (so far) on the steps needed to buy and sell mobile homes. I am sure it is incomplete. I would appreciate any help from those of you who are more experienced in these transactions than I am (especially those who are based in Virginia).
- Negotiate sales price.
- Ensure the home can stay in the park.
- *Find out if back lot rent due.
*Find out if any taxes are past due.
*Ensure clean title.
- Re-negotiate sales price if any of the above are wrong (ex. maybe they owe $500 in back taxes).
- After they pay off any lien holders, go to the DMV with them to complete the sales transaction. A new “clean” title should be issued in their name, and then they sign over that title to you.
- Register title in your name, pay sales tax.
- Negotiate a sales price.
- Get a contract and authorization to run credit check.
- Have them apply for lot rental with PM.
- If they pass, then proceed with the sale, collect down payment and write up a note for the terms.
- Get the title put in their name with you as 1st lien holder.
Is this basically it? What more can anyone add?
As far as getting the title put in buyers name, I have some questions. How do I do that? If I have the title in my name, do I just sign it over to them? Do I go to the DMV with the title still in my name and have it transferred to their name? How do I put a lien against it?