Stinky fridge! - Posted by Rodney (AZ)

Posted by Robbie on April 05, 2000 at 15:07:19:

Not as bad as rotting Flesh!

Stinky fridge! - Posted by Rodney (AZ)

Posted by Rodney (AZ) on April 05, 2000 at 11:02:33:

Okay, folks. Help me out here! I recently repossessed one of my Lonnie deals, and the deadbeat trashed the place. Real classic. But that’s not the problem. You see, he left behind a 16 cubic foot refrigerator (mine) that was just packed with food, as was the freezer. Lots of meats, eggs, leftovers. Yummy. Problem is, he disappeared about 3 weeks before I gained control of the place. The electricity had been off all that time, at a minimum. See where I’m going with this? :slight_smile:

How in the heck can I get that god-awful smell out of the fridge? I have an interested buyer and I’m afraid to show the place because the smell is such a turn-off. (That’s putting it mildly).

Any ideas? I think that I’ve tried all of the regular cleaners, but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Re: found a head - Posted by NJDave

Posted by NJDave on April 06, 2000 at 14:33:56:

Never, ever open a refrigerator in a vacant house. As soon as you see one, wrap some duct tape around it to prevent anyone from accidently opening it. It isn’t enough to warn people. You’ve got to take proactive steps to assure against it’s opening. Duct tape! Strapping tape! Don’t ever look in the freezer compartment!

Chain and Padlock it!!! Just don’t ever look inside.

Man, I’ve got some stories not for the faint of heart.

Kitchens look bigger without fridges - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on April 06, 2000 at 10:55:18:

I learned a trick when rehabbing a house with a small kitchen - throw it out, and the kitchen looks bigger when you show it.

Most new and used houses are sold without appliances these days, especially without a fridge. Thus, the buyer is not upset to see a kitchen without one. Nor does he usually realize that the kitchen will be much smaller once the fridge is in!

Re: Stinky fridge! - Posted by Del (SC)

Posted by Del (SC) on April 06, 2000 at 24:02:15:

Move it outside, open and spray down with 3 to 1 parts water to bleech. Allow to soak on for 10-15 mins.Hose down with water ( hot if poss.) Wipe dry, leave doors open for 1-2 hrs.Done Deal.

here’s a funny story… - Posted by Alex Gurevich, TX

Posted by Alex Gurevich, TX on April 05, 2000 at 18:05:36:

That’s why I really stopped going into them when someone vacates. I give my contractor a key, lockbox and tell him to see what needs to be done for make-ready.

A funny story. After one of those trips to an apartment unit that was vacated a while back and was without electricity a while (just like yours), my contractor calls me back; he’s one of those texans who speaks kinda slooow.

He says: Alex, it’s a tragedy (I perk up), there’s a dead (my heart almost stopped)… chicken in the refrigerator. Oh. I let out a breezer.

Re: Stinky fridge! - Posted by Bill K. (AZ)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on April 05, 2000 at 13:26:16:

Rodney,

If the cleaning methods fail, you should be able to pick up a good, used refrigerator at one of those used appliance stores for about $200-250. Best of all, they’ll haul away the nasty one too!

I hope this helps.

Bill K. (AZ)

Re: Stinky fridge! - Posted by Doug Pretorius

Posted by Doug Pretorius on April 05, 2000 at 12:20:50:

Mmmm, anyone else hungry after reading that?

I suggest alternating between vinegar and baking soda. Then leave it open outside on a nice day, preferrably with the sun shining into it.

The sun is the best disinfectant known to man, after a little direct sunlight all the nasties should be gone.

Re: Stinky fridge! - Posted by Paul_NY

Posted by Paul_NY on April 05, 2000 at 11:35:05:

I’ve used a garden hose, sprayed it out, then add bleach to the spray.

Of course, take it outside first!

Re: Stinky fridge! - Posted by Rodney (AZ)

Posted by Rodney (AZ) on April 05, 2000 at 14:38:56:

Hiya, Bill…

Yeah, I bought a used fridge from one of the local shops to put in another mobile. Pretty good deal for $150, delivered. I was hoping to save this one from the trash heap. Hate to get rid of it just because it stinks, ha ha!

If there had been a video camera running at the time I opened the door, it would have been priceless! I opened it right after saying, “I wonder what kind of mess we’ll find in here…”! Hilarious! Out the door and down the street in about 3.5 seconds.

Rodney

It could be worse! - Posted by Robbie

Posted by Robbie on April 05, 2000 at 14:19:12:

Imagine if someone had been Dead in the house for over 6 weeks! That would really stink! and the maggots would be in massive numbers. All you have is perishable foods there “No Biggie” If that bothers the buyer that much, all you need to do is fiind a more motivated buyer (Simple). Hey it’s a stinkin trailer for gods sake, what do they want Taj Majal? Remind them “It Could Be Worse”

R. Bednash

Re: It could be worse! - Posted by Rodney (AZ)

Posted by Rodney (AZ) on April 05, 2000 at 14:32:56:

Yipes! This thread has taken a hard left turn! I merely want to remove a bad smell from a perfectly serviceable refrigerator, not sell somebody the home from the Amityville Horror!

By the way, “perishable food” can stink pretty bad when given the opportunity!

Re: RULE NUMBER 1 . . . - Posted by David C

Posted by David C on April 05, 2000 at 15:12:03:

when the power has not been on (or it’s a repo) is “DON’T OPEN THE D#$% FRIGE!!!”

Seriously if its been sitting there awhile, I duct tape it shut and have it hauled to the dump, and replace it. Ya never know whats in it or what risk to your life or health you may uncover.

David C