Story of Mazie The Can Collector - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on July 14, 2002 at 23:54:57:

“If you say you can, you will find out one way or the other. If you say you can’t, you won’t do it.”

I guess it works in both business and charity.

Story of Mazie The Can Collector - Posted by Houserookie

Posted by Houserookie on July 14, 2002 at 11:34:22:

This morning I woke up to the CBS morning show and there I heard the Story of 80+ year old Mazie Devora. Mazie is a woman with no special skill or education. She’s just an average woman with a dream.

Mazie had a dream over 20 years ago to build a swimming pool for the local kids. She wanted to keep kids off the streets and build the largest community center.

The locals helped out by giving her their cans, they offered their support, but they also doubted that such a dream could be acheived by this old, physically weak woman.

Her own daughter warned, “Mom, are you prepared to accept the reality that it may not happen?” “It’s going to happen,” that’s what Mazie tells herself.

So everyday for 20+ years she collected pop cans and sold for profit. After 20 years, she collected over 90 tons of pop cans. When all the changes were added, she collected over $80,000, and the State matched it with a grant for another $70,000.

When asked for Mazie’s secret, she said, “Every $100 is a lot of money…ten of those is $1000.”

“I’m not one to get down often.”

“If you say you can, you will find out one way or the other. If you say you can’t, you won’t do it.”

Are there such great hearts and determination left in this world?

Austin

DREAMS… - Posted by Derek(NC)

Posted by Derek(NC) on July 14, 2002 at 23:03:07:

desire, work, and love of other people, a dieing breed…but we are still here. God bless this county and evevyone that lives here!!