Strange lady keeps stiffin me on rent - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by ScottS(NC) on July 08, 2003 at 07:19:57:

Phil,

You made alot of assumptions without even knowing this women. The glass will always be half empty when we jump to conclusions without talking to the tenant/buyer and finding out the real issue. You are correct there are some people out there that are out for a free ride. I have found in most cases people want to do the right thing. Take Care ScottS(NC)

Strange lady keeps stiffin me on rent - Posted by Eddie-MI

Posted by Eddie-MI on July 02, 2003 at 13:21:53:

I have an unusual situation in front of me that I need to make a decision on pretty quickly. I bought a small 32 space park about 4 months ago and have been having problems with this 60 year old single lady.

This renter wanted to buy the trailer she was renting. So, I said- Ok for 3,500 dollars cash its yours (it was an older 1972 and she didnt want to make payments). She came up with the 3500, but has not paid any rent or lot rent since that time and comes up with lots of B.S. excuses. The only reason I was workin with her is because she gave me the 3,500 and I still have title. The MH contract was contigent on her paying the back lot rent completely by June 1. She bought the unit in early May. Obviously, she hasnt paid the back lot rent. I still have the title and I do have her 3,500. She I just throw her out and keep the 3,500? My contract said all back lot rent was to be paid by June 1st.

I try to work with people as opposed to evicting right away, but it seems like this lady wants to keep stiffing me.

Eddie

Section 8? - Posted by Patrick Sears

Posted by Patrick Sears on July 07, 2003 at 12:21:21:

Hello,
How about seeing if she qualifies for Section 8 rental assistance?

lots of advice - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 05, 2003 at 15:33:03:

I’d advise that you take a gander at this article, written by the immensely popular, extremely wise (and good friend of mine) John Merchant:

http://www.creonline.com/money-ideas/mm-061.html

A lot of the advice you are receiving leans toward the poor tenant, and how you are being heartless.

Number One: This is a business, not Habitat for Humanity. The advantage of helping people is, while very honorable, secondary.

Scott offers, IMHO, the best solution.

Strange lady keeps stiffin me on rent - Posted by James Mc (IL)

Posted by James Mc (IL) on July 05, 2003 at 12:16:53:

Well, you do have the 3500.00.

But what to do. I hate the thought of evecting someone after they come up with a chuck of cash AND a little old lady.

I’d write her a letter strong but nice to say what’s up. Maybe that money was all she had, I say maybe, older ladies seem to be very conservative with their money.

You didn’t say whether on not she is working or is on Social Security or is retired or what. I’d look at all the factors and if that fails then talk to her son or daugther or anyone who knows whats going on. Maybe another long term tennant.

Be careful not to violate her rights, asking around and such.

I like to send a bill with late fees and then knock them off when something is worked out, in this kind of special situation.

I’m mean, do you really want to kick grandma out.

Re: Strange lady keeps stiffin me on rent - Posted by Ron_KS

Posted by Ron_KS on July 03, 2003 at 16:30:53:

Hi Eddie,

Hey, come on. Your a better man than what I am reading here I’m sure. As to the politics entering in the equation on some of the answers, I am totally at loss. Politics should never have been brought up - republican, democrat, in the middle, or whatever!!!

I have had two situations similar to yours and I went to the “buyers”, talked with them, found out what the financial situation was, what happened that the money quit flowing and rewrote the contract. I retained the money I had, did not lose a tenant, didnot have to “resell” after fixing up the MH, their happy, I’m happy, I don’t have to pay their lot rent and I still have a good income from an older MH that I bought low and sold high.

In the emortial words of Lonnie Scruggs: “'Nuff said”.

Ron_KS

Re: Strange lady keeps stiffin me on rent - Posted by Don Dion

Posted by Don Dion on July 03, 2003 at 13:35:16:

You best contact a local attorney to see how to properly proceed on this tenant. Other wise you might end up paying him anyway and worse yet have to wait even longer to get rid of her.

Re: Strange lady keeps stiffin me on rent - Posted by Phil Pelletier

Posted by Phil Pelletier on July 03, 2003 at 01:15:28:

Write her a letter and ask her what has changed in her life that made her stop paying her rent. If she comes up with more excuses (or fails to answer all together), then she is being evasive and will probably continue to be so until made to conform to the rules. As of June 1, she has few LEGAL rights to claim her $3,500 (providing you had her sign some paperwork stating the $3500 was consideration for the home only, and had nothing to do with the rent). However, knowing she has few legal rights at this point may motivate her to pay you to avoid being evicted and losing her $3500 payment on the home.

Robert Ringer wrote his book “Winning Through Intimidation” in the 1960’s, and those principles have not changed since. Of the three types of people you will meet in life, the one that is the most dangerous is not the one who tells you “I will screw you, watch out”, or even the one who says, “I will never screw you, friend. I like you” and then does. The most dangerous person to deal with is the one who says “I am not screwing you, it’s the guy who didn’t pay me that is screwing you. It’s not my fault. I’m the victim here!” And you end up screwed anyway, but usually mush worse because your guard was down when you made the deal.

Evict the old broad. She is out to screw you. But it’s not her fault, its that darn old…blah…blah…blah

Phil Pelletier

Are you in it for the $ - Posted by Doug (Alabama)

Posted by Doug (Alabama) on July 02, 2003 at 21:25:23:

I just couldn’t read your post without commenting. Has it occured to you that she is 60 and mybe slowing down a little mentally. I’m not sure I could look in the mirror if I took 3500 from a little old lady on a 72 model trailer then evicted her down the road. Does she have someplace to go or is it out on the streets. Sorry if I seem critical but I see this as you taking advantage of this old lady. Hurah.
My 2¢.

Re: Strange lady keeps stiffin me on rent - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on July 02, 2003 at 14:04:02:

Eddie,

I would apply some of the $3500 to the lot rent and late fees and the current rent. I then would inform her in a letter how much she owes to get title to the home. Use what money she owes then inform her she needs to make up the difference or you will be forced to evict her from your home. Take Care ScottS(NC)

A conservative being Liberal!!! - Posted by Doug (Alabama)

Posted by Doug (Alabama) on July 03, 2003 at 07:23:01:

This is not a case of not paying at all. You have someone who has paid 3500 and you call them non paying. YOU folks need to emamine your motivation for being in this business. Is it to help people or get rich?
Hope you work it out. I’d hate to hear you put the “old broad out” as some have suggested. How would you treat her if it was someone’s mother, yours.
BTW I am a registered republican.

Doug Are your running for the Green Party?? - Posted by Mikelynn

Posted by Mikelynn on July 03, 2003 at 24:49:31:

Are your Serious??? A lady does not pay her rent
for several months and Eddie is taking advantage
of her. She is the one who is taking advantage of
the Eddie, maybe Eddie is the one slowing down.
It appears Doug would be a good candidate for the
Green Party or the Democratic Party. Maybe if he
so concerned for her he should pay the rent for
her or offer for her to live with him. It would
be the perfect solution.
Mike

Re: Outstanding advice for Strange lady - Posted by Phil Pelletier

Posted by Phil Pelletier on July 03, 2003 at 01:17:56:

Outstanding advice. He does hold all the cards (title and money), so you rIdea is better than mine. I said evict the old broad. But you folks are a lot more creative than I am.

Phil Pelletier

Re: A conservative being Liberal!!! - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on July 03, 2003 at 07:51:06:

Folks,

Their is a system in place, she has paid some money. Doug is right hard times hit everyone. She has $3500 worth of credit that could be applied to rent before we must even think of eviction. I have had this same scenerio and found communication to always be the key. There are some folks who take advantage of landlords I know trust me. More likely in this scenerio the lady ran into some problem, why would she hand over $3500 and then stop paying? Nothing could be gained. A visit and a chat would clear up the whole thing most likely. Once the $3500 has been exhausted then Doug I would differ with you. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and work with them as I can. But I do not look at people as my Mother,Friend,Father or anything else they are not. Charity is great Bill Gates gives away billions, but in his business he is shrewed and earns a profit, he doesn’t give his product away because a customer looks like his mother. Your both right depending on the circumstance. Phil for the record most people don’t like the term “Old Broad” shows a lack of respect. Just my .02 Take Care ScottS(NC)

Re: I like the term “Old Broad” - Posted by Phil Pelletier

Posted by Phil Pelletier on July 07, 2003 at 19:51:45:

ANYONE who stiffs me for the rent is worthy of the moniker “Old broad”. You are correct. I have ZERO rspect for folks who cut deals and then cry victim or just stop paying all together for “their own reasons”, like it’s MY problem when their son beats up his girlfriend and needs to be bailed out of jail.

In this case, “Old Broad” stands.

Phil Pelletier

(Boy, I’m in a crappy mood. I’ll try to have “Happy posts” tomorrow.)

Re: A conservative being Liberal!!! - Posted by JOHN LEE

Posted by JOHN LEE on July 04, 2003 at 10:58:19:

I have been in this business for 15 years. I have tried working with people on rent if I feel there is a need. I fiqured the loss bills for this period and they come to $16,285.00. Seems as though my name is passed around to renters in the neighborhood. I run information on people wnting a mobile home and seems they lie a lot. Hope everyone else is having better results than I.